First Extract Brew - Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
KevP

Re: First Extract Brew - Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby

Post by KevP » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:02 pm

pdtnc wrote:
KevP wrote:Loose or bagged its really negligible, if you're worried then add another 2/3 g of hops to compensate.
Liken it to making a cup of tea, do people worry about tea bags being restrictive and producing a lesser quality tea? And by that bagged nature being so inferior its a no-no? Its about convenience, same with tea :wink:
There is a huge quantity of Tea leaves in a teabag compared with the actual amount you need to make a cup of tea, but thats the lazy nature of people wanting an instant cup of tea ;) :roll:
Whats instant about letting it steep for 5 minutes?
And are hops so expensive that a few extra g's will break the bank? Like I say its convenience, and it works.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:44 pm

KevP wrote:And are hops so expensive that a few extra g's will break the bank? Like I say its convenience, and it works.
What's inconvenient about using using a hop filter? What are the advantages of allowing large amounts of trub through into the FV instead of having most of it filtered out by the hop lay? Please enlighten us all.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Graham wrote: I wouldn't let it bother you. It is no big deal, and I am not at all bothered about it.
Cheers, Graham.
Kegged: 'Nowt
Bottled: Summer Lightning, Belfast Ale, JPA, Guinness Foreign Export
http://www.hopandgrain.com

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Well the brewing has finally started...

So far, 1 boil over, 1 thumb slightly burnt through the steam, found the correct setting for the rolling boil on the thermostat, everything else going ok, 30 mins in to the boil, boiler working fine. Smells like a brewery! ;-)

Fingers crossed there is something edible at the end of this... :-)

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:51 pm

Well all appears well! Ended up with only about 16 litres, but I didn't start with the right amount of liquid as the boiler was boiling over too much. When done it ended with a SG of 1052ish which is close enough to the 1058 which I was aiming for.

The cooling gizmo worked a treat after I found ways to connect the stupid small pipes I had!

So now a weeks wait and see if the fermentation takes hold as needed. Looks a lovely colour and smells great already! :-)

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:18 pm

A stupid question, what's the easiest way to get images in to this forum so I can share some brewing process and results!?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:23 pm

DeadlyGoldfish wrote:A stupid question, what's the easiest way to get images in to this forum so I can share some brewing process and results!?
Link. :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Link to an external web site you mean, so I have to upload my photos to another web site first and link it in here?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:36 pm

DeadlyGoldfish wrote:Link to an external web site you mean, so I have to upload my photos to another web site first and link it in here?
Click the link in my post, it leads to the FAQ on posting pictures. But yes, you do have to upload your pics somewhere else.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:13 pm

So here are some pics from the brew, I have yet to get one of the beer itself, but may do that later!

The start...

Light Malt
Crystal Malt
Fuggles & Goldings

The boil

The end

If you want to see larger pictures for some reason!
Go here...

KevP

Post by KevP » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Nice pics, I would leave the lid off when boiling, it traps alot of nasties that would otherwise be boiled off and can affect the taste of the beer.

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Excellent, thanks for the advice, as this was my first brew this way I wasn't quite sure, so went for the "it will keep at warmer"! approach. Fingers crossed, it doesn't taste too bad at present, still waiting for it to clear.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi!

I did a 9 litre batch of this yesterday... the smell was fantastic!

I dont have a dedicated boiler but used a 15l stock pot for the boil.... the only issue I found with this was I boiled the hops without the use of a bag... meaning that when I transfered the wort out of the boiling pot I had to use another sanitised container... to pour the wort into using a large seive to catch the hops...

The idea being that I would transfer the wort to the FV via the hop 'bed' in my strainer....

I hope this will result in a good beer, the sample from the OG measurement tasted good, sweet with a hoppy bitterness and coffee like taste
:)
I used nottingham yeast as I had a starter to hand

I dont think I'll make another extract brew using this method if this batch turns out as a failure... I will wait until I have a boiler with a hopback.... With my wife expecting our first child in April, this might be some time off... :(

I will keep you posted!

Slainte!

Guy
8)

DeadlyGoldfish

Post by DeadlyGoldfish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38 pm

And here she blows, the end product. Tastes lovely. :-)

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Manx Guy wrote:Hi!

I did a 9 litre batch of this yesterday... the smell was fantastic!

I dont have a dedicated boiler but used a 15l stock pot for the boil.... the only issue I found with this was I boiled the hops without the use of a bag... meaning that when I transfered the wort out of the boiling pot I had to use another sanitised container... to pour the wort into using a large seive to catch the hops...

The idea being that I would transfer the wort to the FV via the hop 'bed' in my strainer....

I hope this will result in a good beer, the sample from the OG measurement tasted good, sweet with a hoppy bitterness and coffee like taste
:)
I used nottingham yeast as I had a starter to hand

I dont think I'll make another extract brew using this method if this batch turns out as a failure... I will wait until I have a boiler with a hopback.... With my wife expecting our first child in April, this might be some time off... :(

I will keep you posted!

Slainte!

Guy
8)
Hi
I've not long been given a 15 litre stockpot as a birthday present and am chomping at the bit to use it. How easy was it to handle when you were tipping the boil through the sieve? Can't wait to get cracking :)
Tom