Moving across from Kits

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
ebilpirate

Moving across from Kits

Post by ebilpirate » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I want to move to extract after some decent successes on kit brews. I can't get a boiler, (long story involving a wife a small kitchen and anything for a quiet life) but a stock pot I could get away with. Now, as I understand it my shopping list to go extract is quite short.

[*] Thermometer - ( I can use the laser jobby I have for the pets, it's served me well on the kits), I might pick up a jam therm as I need one of those for next years jams
[*] Muslim Bags - To hold me grains and me hops whiles thing boil
[*] Big Stock pot.- This is where i need your help.... What size do I need? The 14L one here - http://www.cookability.biz/master-class ... b_2038.htm, Looks good.

Am I on the right lines?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Moving across from Kits

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:32 pm

ebilpirate wrote:I want to move to extract after some decent successes on kit brews. I can't get a boiler, (long story involving a wife a small kitchen and anything for a quiet life) but a stock pot I could get away with. Now, as I understand it my shopping list to go extract is quite short.

[*] Thermometer - ( I can use the laser jobby I have for the pets, it's served me well on the kits), I might pick up a jam therm as I need one of those for next years jams
[*] Big Stock pot.- This is where i need your help.... What size do I need? The 14L one here - http://www.cookability.biz/master-class ... b_2038.htm, Looks good.

Am I on the right lines?
I like the idea of the bags.............are they the ones with the little slit to look out of. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

minimilo

Post by minimilo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm

trucker5774 wrote:
ebilpirate wrote:I want to move to extract after some decent successes on kit brews. I can't get a boiler, (long story involving a wife a small kitchen and anything for a quiet life) but a stock pot I could get away with. Now, as I understand it my shopping list to go extract is quite short.

Am I on the right lines?
I like the idea of the bags.............are they the ones with the little slit to look out of. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have just moved on from Kits myself and whilst making my first brew I realised the stockpot was not big enough, even with a down scaled recipe. I therefore have just bought one of these from eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEEP-STAINLESS-ST ... 4a9d193fa0

Its probably not of the best quality but I believe its good value and should last a good amount of time.

I have just bottled my first extract brew a 3B's clone, can't wait to give it a taste :)

Good luck and enjoy it.

:D

Spikesdad

Post by Spikesdad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Heres a couple of good posts..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27465

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23376

I strated with an eleven L brew pot, then a 15, now a 20! Can get a 3 gallon full brew, and easily a 5gallon partial boil. Hope this helps.

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:34 pm

=D> =D> =D> Nice one Trucker! It wasn't just me who noticed it then! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm

ebilpirate wrote:[*] Muslim Bags
There's a few of those around here, sounds a bit extremist to just use one-faith bags, better to use Muslin ;)

ebilpirate

Post by ebilpirate » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:23 pm

pdtnc wrote:
ebilpirate wrote:[*] Muslim Bags
There's a few of those around here, sounds a bit extremist to just use one-faith bags, better to use Muslin ;)
Ok Ok, was in hurry to get over to the pub for a sunday afternoon pint of doombar, with a tribute dessert.... firefox spelling checker did it's red underline and I was putting my boots on and the rest is history....

so anyhow, I might just go for a 20l to start with.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 am

If size and space becomes a problem, remember you can boil in batches or dilute with water after. Just take care not to have the wort too concentrated and get it burning.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

PureGuiness

Post by PureGuiness » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 am

Another issue with a very concentrated wort in the boil is the effect it can have on hop utilisation. I tended to boil the hops with about 1/2 the malt extract in my main 11ltr stock pot and then boil the rest of the malt extract up separately and then top up in the FV with extra water to achieve the required OG. That was the SG of the wort in the boil is similar to a full boil and the hop utilisation shouldn't be effected.

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 pm

I do the same as PureGuiness. That's how I've been told to do it because of the hop utilisation and my beers taste great :) I just slowly put the second half of the extract in towards the end of the boil.

I only have a 10litre pot at the moment but will look into getting a bigger one or even a boiler later on, but right now it does just fine (as long as I keep a good eye on it and not let it have a chance to boil over)

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:30 pm

minimilo wrote:I have just moved on from Kits myself and whilst making my first brew I realised the stockpot was not big enough, even with a down scaled recipe. I therefore have just bought one of these from eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEEP-STAINLESS-ST ... 4a9d193fa0

Its probably not of the best quality but I believe its good value and should last a good amount of time.

I have just bottled my first extract brew a 3B's clone, can't wait to give it a taste :)

Good luck and enjoy it.

:D
Hi minimilo
I got one of those for my birthday from the kids :D I plan to follow OldSpeckledBadger's simple one hop method but any chance you can post yours along with your recipe? I'm hoping to fire it up next week so all the input I can get befoe I start would be a help :)
Cheers Tom

minimilo

Post by minimilo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:41 am

Hi,
My recipe is from Graham Wheelers book and I don't believe I can put it on here because of copyright issues. This book is a good read, I recommend it.
However, I sure others can post their simple recipes.

Cheers

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Ah the book of wisdom.....
Got a copy of it myself :) Did you ever consider OldSpeckledBadger's method? I'm hoping it will work ok with Graham's recipes. Don't really want to do small brews as I hate bottling and would rather spend the £20 ish for a small barrel on a full size one.
I'm planning Graham's Banks bitter recipe. Enjoy your 3b's :D
Tom

minimilo

Post by minimilo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

soupdragon wrote:Ah the book of wisdom.....
Got a copy of it myself :) Did you ever consider OldSpeckledBadger's method? I'm hoping it will work ok with Graham's recipes. Don't really want to do small brews as I hate bottling and would rather spend the £20 ish for a small barrel on a full size one.
I'm planning Graham's Banks bitter recipe. Enjoy your 3b's :D
Tom

As i beginner of extract brewing myself, I am going change the methods depending on the brew.

Have you downloaded the the Beer Engine yet? Quite useful if want to down scale or upscale your brews.

Cheers

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:13 pm

minimilo wrote:

As i beginner of extract brewing myself, I am going change the methods depending on the brew.

Have you downloaded the the Beer Engine yet? Quite useful if want to down scale or upscale your brews.

Cheers
Yes but I've not played with it properly yet. Looks a very usefull tool Tho :)
Tom