Partial Mash

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Zephiacus

Partial Mash

Post by Zephiacus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Going for a partial mash this time, looking for a hoppy as hell double ipa,

Muntons Malt extract Pale 3.6 kg
Lager Malt 1kg
Munich Malt 500g
Caramalt 500g
Flaked Barley 200g
Light Spraymalt 500g

That sound about right, not sure about the munich malt, but i have some lying around?

For Hops I was thinking a Fuggles/Green Bullet combo again as that seemed pretty good, but would love to hear what you reccomend, this iswhat i have lying about....

Cascade 100g
Chinook100g
Green Bullet 150g
Cascade 100g
Fuggles 50g

whifty

Re: Partial Mash

Post by whifty » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an ancient post... But I was idly googling for a partial extract IPA recipe to attempt, as my first tentative step forward from pure kit beer brewing, and this came up.

I reckon that I can get hold of the ingredients above fairly easily, and have researched a fair bit of background on partial extract methods, was just hoping for some advice on whether this might be too ambitious for a first PE brew?

Zephiacus

Post by Zephiacus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Haha, what an old post. I'm glad someone has posted eventually..., i seem to remember being pretty disappointed by the lack response.

However I wouldn't recommend THIS recipe, because if I remember correctly, it was horrible..., and had to be mixed with 1/3 lemonade to make it drinkable..,

I would recommend going into extract as a step up from kit brewing myself, I feel that partial mash was a bit of a pointless step for me, but if that's what your wanting to do, then give us an outline of what type of beer your looking for and I can see if I can work out a recipe which will be tastier than the above was....

whifty

Post by whifty » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Hey thanks for replying! I think I need to do a bit more research into extract if thats the way to go... and I think I might have my terminology a bit mixed up anyway :?

Initially, I was happily making up straight 1 and 2 can kits which have always turned out fine, albiet obviously 'homebrew' and a bit, well characterless. So I watched a few youtube videos (craigtube I think) on improving kit beer with a partial mash and was intending as a first step, to experiment with adding hops & grains in an attempt to get more flavour going on. Thing is I have little idea of what hops = what flavours...

In an ideal world I would like to brew a very hoppy IPA in the style of Magic Rock Curious (my favourite tipple of the moment) though I accept that this is lightyears away from what I can achieve at present!

cheers