Weyermann Malt Extract

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
jimp2003

Weyermann Malt Extract

Post by jimp2003 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I was looking at the range of Weyermann extracts on Maltmillers website as I am going to need to produce a batch of beer but won't have the time for the usual all-grain brewday.

Has anyone used these extracts with good results?

I am flexible as to what type of beer I am going to make so am happy to plump for any of them except maybe the rauch.

jimp2003

Re: Weyermann Malt Extract

Post by jimp2003 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am

No one used this stuff eh? Oh well I guess I will take a punt on one...

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:25 am

I have used the Bavarian Pilsner extract to make a Belgian dark strong before and I had no complaints, I rather liked the 4 kilo container :beer:

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:11 am

I also used the Bavarian Pilsner. Ironically I used mine to make a mild - GW's recipe for Hop Back Mild. Used black carafa III (because that's all I can get in Switzerland). It also had Nottingham yeast if I remember. Was a lovely pint. Almost black lagerish.
Second batch was a golden ale. Was the lightest beer I'd ever been able to brew using extract but of course, was still a lot darker than anything brewed AG.
I also liked the red jerry can that it comes in. However, it was a bugger getting the last drops of extract out of it.

I didn't buy anymore after that simply because compared to other malt extracts, they are pretty expensive.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Zephiacus

Post by Zephiacus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 am

They are really good, I have used the pils one for a APA before, was a cracking beer and the hefeweizen one. They are expensive, but of very high quality

Zephiacus

The beers I made with this were far superior to the beers I brewed with coopers malt extract
Last edited by Zephiacus on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zephiacus

Sorry, accidentally posted the same message three times...

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:50 am

Cheers guys. The Pilsner might be the one then.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Have been told they are very good, just a shame they come in such big cans for my scale of brewing...
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 am

jimp2003 wrote:Cheers guys. The Pilsner might be the one then.
Something to bear in mind is that you might need to use more of the pilsner extract than regular LME. I found this out when playing around with Beertools where they have it listed as an extract ingredient.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields