Bulk LME?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Bulk LME?

Post by Clibit » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:53 am

Brewsmarter.co.uk do 16 x 1.5 kg tins (24kg) for £57.95 with free delivery.

http://www.brewsmarter.co.uk/bh-light-l ... 1808-p.asp

Not used it myself, but others have said it's good. No need to worry about it going off.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:54 am

our local stopped selling it after a few returns, apparently going mouldy after a fortnight or so...I'd think the freezer would work because it'd stop mould from growing at that temp.

DME I've had last 6 months easily.

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Well my 25kg of lme is no longer 25kg but after 2 months or so it's still fine as far as I can tell. It's been kept in my living room under the staircase at "normal" household temperatures.

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 pm

At the risk of boring everyone to death this will be my last post on the subject. However, I am pleased to report that I've just finished my 25kg of Muntons Cedarex light which has kept 5 months in my living room with no obvious ill effects. I haven't bothered adding C02 after the first couples of uses. I simply screwed the lid on tight and put it back in the living room. The only disadvantage of using malt extract in this format is that when the plastic can is full you have to lift 25kg which is fine now but may not be when I'm older!

The saving £wise is huge over the usual 1.5kg or 1.8kg tins. It also makes it cost effective to use all malt extract and zero brewing sugar so you get a better quality brew for much less money and can justify having lots of different hops in stock.