Suggestions for my first crack at extract brewing.

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Nikster

Suggestions for my first crack at extract brewing.

Post by Nikster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Ok, this weekend I'd like to have a crack at extract brewing (moving up from kits), ideally I'd like to start with as basic a recipe as possible, this is just so I can get to grips with the procedure and avoiding crapping up with a high bill.

Current stuff I have in stock.

6 x 1.5KG BrewSmarter LME
2 x Garvin Ale yeast (Wilkos)
2 x 1KG Dextrose
1 x 1KG Muntons brew enhancer
1 x 500g medium DME
100g cascade.

2-3 gallon stock pot (I should really measure it)

I'm partial to Kelham Island's Pale Rider, but I love the taste of Geordie's winter warmer. So I guess for simplicity sake and to enjoy (hopefully) what I make I guess something along the lines of Pale Rider (blonde?) would do me fine.

I need to call to the LHBS at the weekend to get some muslin bags, so I will have access to the following (assuming they have all in stock). http://www.thebrewmart.com/malted-grains-c257.html

So with as few grain variety needed, what would be a decent recipe?

Also brew length doesn't matter as long as it will go in the pot and fit into a 23l FV. :)

Cheers.

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Suggestions for my first crack at extract brewing.

Post by Clibit » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm

You could do a 20 litre brew with 3kg of LME and maybe 250g of the DME. Would give OG about 1052, abv 5%ish. Cascade 20g for 60 mins, 20g for 15 mins, 20g at the end of the boil for aroma. IBUs approx 30. Pale Rider is a blonde beer 5%ish with Cascade hops.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks Clibit that ingredient list is as short as it gets. :) it turns out my pot is 9l and I've read the extract at the top right but it doesn't mention how much water volume, so what would I be looking at for this recipe?

What would be nice is to add some crystal just to get the steeping procedure in there as well, would 100-200g suffice for this or would it be too much? And given the size of my pot, should I half everything and aim for 10l as I guess half will get boiled off?

bananaman
Sober

Post by bananaman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I do brews like that all the time - sometimes with added dextrose to make it a bit special....
I change the type of hops but currently loving straight citra and straight northern brewer.
Even my posh AG mates like the results.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Yes aim for 10 litres and halve everything. Steep about 100 to 150g light crystal at about 65*C in about 3 litres water for 20-30 mins and fish them out, then bring to boil, turn heat of and add LME and stir in. Top up pan, bring back to boil and add first hops. after 45 mins add second hops, 15 mins later turn heat off and add last hops. Cool in sink and sieve into fv. Top up to about 11 litres. Pitch yeast at about 18*C.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks very much, roll on Saturday. :)

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:20 pm

I did it, I could sniff steeping crystal all day, SG was only 1040 though, chucked a big more DME which bumped up to 1042 but well see what happens. :lol:

Odd thing was I never got a hot break that needed temp control or me doing anything, is this normal? Watching vids all the ones I've seen nearly have a boil over, mine didn't budge. Apart from evaporate.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 am

Thank you again Clibit, the beer was cracking (for my pallet) so much so I will be doing a full batch of it now I have a proper sizes boiler. =D>

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Hey that's brilliant, well done. Don't worry about the hot break, not always evident, especially with extract. Not sure what happened to your OG. Odd. How much beer did you have in the FV, how much liquid and dry malt extract did you use? If you put a 1.5kg can of LME in 10 litres of water you've got OG 1046 straight away. Add 250g of dried extract and you get 1051. Was it fully mixed when you measured? What was the temperature when you measured?

If you like the smell of steeping crystal, try steeping chocolate malt!

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:29 pm

I measured @ ~20c and things were mixed properly, it was 11ltr in the FV when I'd done, the LME were those cheap ones from Ireland and seemed very liquidy compared to what I normally get out of a kit, a lot more so, I put a sweet newkie brown on over the weekend and even after heating the tin up was more treacle like than the LME which I didn't even heat up. Maybe there's more water to sugar in those things compared to the more expensive ones which would explain a lot I guess.

I'll have to try some chocolate malt. :)

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Is there any info on the tin? Seems strange.

A good idea now would be to steep some pale malt like Maris Otter with the Crystal/Chocolate/other steeping grains, you will get more extract from the steeping grains I believe, and a fresher malt flavour, and grain is much cheaper than malt extract. Steep for one hour, aim for 68-70C (add the grain to water at 72-75C) and put some towels over the pot. After an hour strain through a sieve and return the grain to the pot and add more hot water approx 75C, leave for 5/10 mins and strain again.

In other words, a partial mash. If you use 1.5kg LME OR 1.25kg DME, plus 2kg Maris Otter grain and 250g crystal to make 20 litres in the FV you will get an OG around 1050.

Using grain makes a big difference. And it's cheaper. I will never go back. I now use all grain, sometimes I add some DME to increase the OG. Partial mash is actually well suited to brewing on a cooker in the kitchen. I also add the DME at the end of the boil now, for various reasons. Boil the hops in the wort produced by the grain, switch off and mix the DME in. A good idea is to put the DME in a separate pan, jug some of the hot wort in and mix it, then pour it back in the big pot and stir. Avoids the DME getting steamed up and sticking to the bag.

Probably too much info, I'm really just clarifying my own mind cos I have changed what I do a lot and am still modifying my methods. If you decide to have a go you just need a bag or strainer that will hold all the grain, and some partial mash instructions.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Nah, they're just gold tins with a sticker on. I already have a 40l boiler now and a bag, slowly getting the bits together and also got a premade old peculiar all grain kit ready, I just have two kits and five lme cans to get shut of then I'll be in all grain territory, not bad to say I only started February with a starter kit the missis bought me for Xmas. Damn addictive this brewing lark

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:18 am

Bloody addictive. You're going to love the all grain brews, I only started all grain earlier this year and some of the beers I've made have been fantastic and the rest have been very good. Enjoy. I'm jealous of the 40 litre boiler btw...