Dry hop in keg or fermentor

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Morten

Re: Dry hop in keg or fermentor

Post by Morten » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:29 pm

I usually dry hop in both FV and in the keg.

A tea ball filled 1/3 with pellets will sink right to the bottom and infuse the beer with nice aromas.

I've had beer in my kegerator with dry hops for 4-5 weeks with no grassy aromas or other off flavours.

Mther

Post by Mther » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Perfect. I use the whole flower hops so it will float but that does not really matter I think. I dont believe either in the grassy flavors many people say. I want this IPA to be hopped to the maximum, so I have 60 grams inside the primary, I will discard in day 5, put other 60 grams for 5 more days, discard, keg and put more hops in the tea ball in keg (60grams) again. I hope it will taste and smell like a hop bomb. I am using simcoe, nelson sauvin in primary, and I will be using simcoe, bishop for secondary and nelson sauvin for keg!

Morten

Post by Morten » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Mther wrote:Perfect. I use the whole flower hops so it will float but that does not really matter I think. I dont believe either in the grassy flavors many people say. I want this IPA to be hopped to the maximum, so I have 60 grams inside the primary, I will discard in day 5, put other 60 grams for 5 more days, discard, keg and put more hops in the tea ball in keg (60grams) again. I hope it will taste and smell like a hop bomb. I am using simcoe, nelson sauvin in primary, and I will be using simcoe, bishop for secondary and nelson sauvin for keg!
You need a pretty big tea ball for that amount of hops.

What size do you have?

(I'd like to get bigger ones than the 3" I have)

Mther

Post by Mther » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:43 pm

It is a rice ball actually!!! Its 5 inches diameter....
Not sure if it would work with pellets...

Morten

Post by Morten » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Isn't that too big to fit through the opening of the keg?

Mther

Post by Mther » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:07 pm

!!!!!!!! What an idiot I am !!!!!! Hahahahaha
Well at least you thought about that, so I wont have any last minute surprises! Muslin bag then :) :)

Mther

Post by Mther » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Having another thought.... If I add a muslin bag without tie ing it at the bottom... Won't the pressure push it a bit down? :)

Morten

Post by Morten » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:37 am

Mther wrote:Having another thought.... If I add a muslin bag without tie ing it at the bottom... Won't the pressure push it a bit down? :)
I don't think so.

jumpinjack

Post by jumpinjack » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:04 am

Mther wrote:Having another thought.... If I add a muslin bag without tie ing it at the bottom... Won't the pressure push it a bit down? :)
As Morten said as well I dont think it will. The pressure will be equal in all directions so it will stay where it is (I hope my physics doesn't let me down!).