Diacetyl problems

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
will_raymo2000

Diacetyl problems

Post by will_raymo2000 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello all,

Had a couple of issues with two extract brews I have done to pass the time til my new AG rig is complete. The first batch I did was to the Adnams Southwold recipe here: http://www.colchesterhomebrew.co.uk/recipes.html

I fermented it with dried S04 out the packet and used the rest of the LME instead of the 425g white sugar to achieve the target. It fermented down to 1.006 in 6 days (16-20*C) but left it in for 3 more days without a change in gravity. Crash cooled, Aux fined, waited 24 hrs then Isinglas fined then into Corny for 2 weeks under 6psi in my cellar at 12-14*C.

It just tastes like Werthers Original, still got the bitterness and maltiness but the overriding taste is of toffee/butterscotch.

I have another brew on the go, the TTL recipe from Graham Wheeler's book. It's now 10 days in the same fermenting conditions but from rehydrated S04 and is now down to 1.010 but from tasting the sample jar it has that diacetyl taste too!! Any ideas please?!

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: Diacetyl problems

Post by jmc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I'd try a couple of things

1) a warmer fermentation temperature i.e. 20C rather than 16-20C, which I think is a bit low, to help the yeast.
2) try leaving brew on the yeast a little longer after its finished brewing to help it clean up the diacetyl. Say 5-7 days rather than 3.