Yeast starter

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
gibbiem

Yeast starter

Post by gibbiem » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 am

Areet!!

Getting prepared for my next brew. Up till now I've used kits and just added some hops to the boil. I'm going full extract this time with some grains so had to buy yeast separate.

I got a pack of Wyeast 1056 and I've been reading a lot about making a starter.

Just wondered if someone could clarify how best to use it? my recipe is:

1kg Extra Light DME
2.5kg Light DME
0.5kg Crsytal 40l

Late hop additions of simcoe, columbus and amarillo. Planning to ferment for 1 week and dry hop for 1 week then bottle.

Going to make about 24l.

Its kind of an experiment so I have no idea what the OG will be etc.

So I'm not sure if I should pitch the whole pack, or make a starter or even split the yeast to save a bit of cash (I know if I split I will need to make a starter).

As always, any advice or input is much appreciated.

G

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Yeast starter

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 am

I realize that you have most likely long since brewed your beer but just thought that I would point out that you don't need to make a starter out of a sachet of dried yeast, all that the dried yeast needs is re-hydrating. The cell count in that one sachet is sufficient for most beers of reasonable gravity and the yeast has been dried while in its optimal state with sufficient sterol levels to multiply many times, so a starter isn't necessary. Just one less step for you to worry about :)

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

BerLov

Post by BerLov » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:25 pm

As for me everything is looking fine.
Wish you like.
Tell us the result

richtangsoo

Post by richtangsoo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Wyeast isn't dried.
You can pitch the activated bag straight in to your brew and it will take off fine.
If you want to collect some yeast for future batches, top cropping works very well, this is what I do.
Once a healthy yeast head has formed, skim this first yeast head of as it will have brought up trub and hop particles from the beer.
Rouse the beer by giving it a good stir without any splashing so no air is introduced.
The purpose of this is to break up clumps of yeast and remix yeast that has settled to the bottom.
You can then collect the next yeast head. I put mine in a bottle and cap it. you only need about an inch or two of yeast on the bottom then pour boiled cooled water on top, keep it in the fridge and it will last for a year or more.
Of course when you use it you will have to make a starter.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm

richtangsoo wrote:Wyeast isn't dried.
You can pitch the activated bag straight in to your brew and it will take off fine.
If you want to collect some yeast for future batches, top cropping works very well, this is what I do.
Once a healthy yeast head has formed, skim this first yeast head of as it will have brought up trub and hop particles from the beer.
Rouse the beer by giving it a good stir without any splashing so no air is introduced.
The purpose of this is to break up clumps of yeast and remix yeast that has settled to the bottom.
You can then collect the next yeast head. I put mine in a bottle and cap it. you only need about an inch or two of yeast on the bottom then pour boiled cooled water on top, keep it in the fridge and it will last for a year or more.
Of course when you use it you will have to make a starter.
Yeah that's what I done. Just pitched the packet and collected the yeast after. I just bottled the brew then added cooled boiled water to the fv and shook it up. I then poured it all in to a 5 litre water bottle and let the trub settle and poured off the yeast into 5 jam jars. Used two already and working a treat. Got a citra single bubbling away just now from a 1l starter

richtangsoo

Post by richtangsoo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Ah the art of yeast rinsing, I do that for yeasts that don't have much of a head.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm

I've still yet to do a successful harvest. :(