Wheat spray malt and cascade

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Nikster

Wheat spray malt and cascade

Post by Nikster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm wanting to do a gallon batch of something as I'm going out of my mind, could I create something with 500g of wheat spray malt and 40 oddish grams of cascade, would I need extra sugars for this to create anything of use? I have a bit of crystal as well but would like to be bard bones as possible. I think I have some porridge as well. :)

Cheers.

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Wheat spray malt and cascade

Post by DaveyT » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:32 pm

You'll need 60:40 dried malt extract:wheat extract or it won't ferment out. I did one with 100% wheat malt and it only got down to 1.020.
You could steep 50g of crystal in the water first. That'll be golden rather than brown. 100g will be nice but quite chewy; think Old Speckled Hen, to give you an idea on that.
So steep the grains while the water is coming up to boil. Add the extract and boil for 15 min. Add as much hops as you want, at whatever times you want. Cool as rapidly as possible.

David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:01 pm

Cool. The wheat malt I have is a muntons one which is a 55:45 mix of wheat and barley, is that what you mean rather than 100% wheat?

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 pm

That's the one I used. I thought it would be OK as it wasn't purely wheat, but it gave me something I hadn't planned. It wasn't bad, having said that. If I were you, I'd use 200g of the Munton's WME then 300g of dried malt extract.
Bill Hicks

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 pm

That's the one I used. I thought it would be OK as it wasn't purely wheat, but it gave me something I hadn't planned. It wasn't bad, having said that. If I were you, I'd use 200g of the Munton's WME then 300g of dried malt extract.
Bill Hicks

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Bottled this last night, just the wheat malt, the porridge, bit of crystal and 30g cascade, 10 for 60, 10 for 15 and 10 at flameout, went from 1042 to 1010 for four litres.

Taste test when bottling it's the best thing I've tasted straight from FV, only got 5.5 bottles so will try them in two weekly intervals, but tempted to make a full batch already. :)