CloneBrews by Tsamatulski

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
GavH

CloneBrews by Tsamatulski

Post by GavH » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Anyone read this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CloneBrews-2nd- ... lone+brews

I'm ready to step up from Kit brewing to Extract with a view to following some of the recipes in this guide, with the ultimate aim of gaining more control over the end product (in respect of IBUs, SRM etc). Can anyone who's read it confirm that a 12L pot is indeed sufficient and that the recipes are workable? I've been brewing kits for just over a year now and starting to play with boiling hops, steeping grain and using liquid yeasts so I'm relatively happy with the techniques, but I'm aware that most AG and Extract brewers will use much larger boilers.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: CloneBrews by Tsamatulski

Post by sbond10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Well I use a 17 litre pot I've never seen that book before but a few of brew uks kits are adapted from Graeme wheelers book which at its biggest needs a 15 litre pan. So yeah a 12 litre pan will work just you may have to adapt things to suit then water back

GavH

Post by GavH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks! I'll have to source a copy of the Wheeler book.. I almost bought two of the Brew UK kits last night (Way to Amarillo and Wadsworth 6x) but the cost of postage to NI was outrageous. In the meantime I'll have a look around for a bigger pot or alternatively try to convince the wife that a Brupaks boiler or suchlike is what I really need!

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 pm

There is an Irish company that does basic extract kits but for the life of me can't remember it's name. Mr wheelers books are at the smallest 18 litre into the fermenter but I seem to remember asking a similiar question as my pans only 17 ltr could I still make his clones and the answer was yeah but it might not be exactly the same as the beer your cloning.

So with my exmoor beast I did the following
Steeped the grains
Removed the grains
Filled the pan upto 15ltr
Brought to boil
Added the 2kg of dme
Boiled and added hops as per recipe
Added the remaining dme as I was transferring to Fv checked gravity and topped up to desired level

That seemed to work for me probs not strictly to protocol but it suited my equipment( a nest of cheap cheerful pans can be had for 30 quid or less). Be aware boiling in smaller amounts can affect hop extraction and colour. I use brewuk simply because I don't brew as often as I want to soto get the freshest hops/dme I buy the kits it's not the cheapest way but saves me buying 100g of hops and only needing 12g so there just wasted tbh.

grmski

Post by grmski » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 am

I've got this book and although it's written for the US market I find it a good source of recipe ideas. The quantities are written for US measures so if you use a corny keg the beer length is just right. There's a good selection of American beers as well as those from around the world. I'd recommend it as a good addition to a collection.