Second extract attempt, strong amber ale

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
allanmb

Second extract attempt, strong amber ale

Post by allanmb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Whilst my first extract attempt conditions, I am going to start a second extract. This time I want to go for a strong, amber ale with a good bit of hopy character to it! My first attempt didnt come out as bitter as I'd hoped so I am going to try the same bitterness for this amber ale (I would usually have a less bitter amber). I aim to get it above 7% which will be a first (In fact, I havent brewed ale over 6% yet).

Does anyone have any comments about my recipe or process?

Ingredients:
1 x 1.5Kg Coopers Light LME
1 x 1.5Kg Coopers Medium LME
2kg Medium DME
75g Brewers Sugar for bottle conditioning
11.5g packet of Safale US-05 yeast
70g Citra hop leaves
60g Simcoe hop leaves
20g Apollo hop leaves
50g Kohatu hop leaves
Whirlfloc tablet and/or beer finings

45 mins:
10g Citra
10g Apollo

30 mins:
10g Apollo
10g Citra

10 mins:
20g Citra
20g Simcoe
10g Kohatu

Flame out:
10g Simcoe
10g Kohatu

Dry Hop:
30g Citra
30g Simcoe
30g Kohatu

Target IBU: 67
Target ABV: 7.1%
Estimated OG: 1070
Estimated FG: 1015
Estimated Colour: EBC 46

- Add 1Kg of DME to a 18L pot with water (no more than 3/4 full), bring to boil and let froth clear (hot break) making sure not to let anything stick to the bottom of the pot
- Add the hops in bags in stages as listed above, keep a good rolling boil and keep topping up to counter evaporation
- Add a whirlfloc tablet (if using) with 10 mins left to go
- At flame out, leave the pot with lid on for 10-15 mins
- Remove hops, but do not squeeze the hops out
- Sparge the hop bags by pouring additional boiling water over the bags and then add the rest of the fermentables (LME and rest of DME)
- Cool quickly in a sink of very cold water or use immersion chiller
- Top up to 23L with cold tap water
- Once temp is below 22C, pitch the yeast and take OG reading
- Leave to ferment at 18C with an airlock for 21-28 days or until fermentation is very slow
- Transfer to secondary fermentation vessel and add dry hops.
- Leave for 4-5 days with airlock
- Add finings, gently stir and leave for further 2-3 days.
- Syphon into another fermentation vessel, take final gravity reading then add 75g of brewers sugar. Gently stir then bottle.
- Leave in a warm dark place to carbonate for 14 days
- Leave in a cold dark place (fridge is best) to settle and clear for 21-28 days

allanmb

Re: Second extract attempt, strong amber ale

Post by allanmb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 am

I started this last night with a few minor modifications around flame-out. I read that flame out hops really do go in at flame out and the chilling commences immediately so thats what I did. I took an SG reading at 21C and it was a whopping 1081!! This is hopefully going to be some strong beer :-)

allanmb

Post by allanmb » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Beer is finally ready and it's a cracker! Calculations suggest it is a whopping 8.6% It is very hoppy, a good body and has very little yeast character. Exactly as I was aiming for! Now, time for a fruity amber ale...

TonyT40

Post by TonyT40 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Good one Allan. I have only done one extract so far. I found a 2 gallon recipe, bought the stuff then lost the recipe #-o . I couldn't remember where i got it from so had to find something similar. mine was a strong amber which was supposed to come out at about 6% and it was 7.5%. Quite malty with mild hopping. I was really pleased with it. I am going to try your recipe next.

Tony

allanmb

Post by allanmb » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Sounds like a good ale too! If you do try my recipe, let me know how you get on. It's encouraging that someone else likes the sound of my recipe!

I have devised my next recipe for a fruity IPA (not amber as previously stated), but I am doing a partial grain extract for the first time... fingers crossed it all goes well! I hope to start it at the weekend.