A lagerish extract effort .

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Nosferatu
Hollow Legs
Location: Isle of Man , home of Bushy's , Okells and Hooded Ram breweries .

A lagerish extract effort .

Post by Nosferatu » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Hello again folks after the success and good feedback on my last brew I thought I'd hoy my next planned effort up here for you lot to take a look and offer any advice / ideas . The Mrs is after me to make something that she might drink and given that I don't mind a good lager myself I'm wanting to have a go at a Czech ish style . Going with the experience from my last brew I'll be sticking with the 20l batch idea made up from the following .
1 x 1.5 l tin light LME
1 x 500 g extra light DME
1 x 1 Kg brew enhancer
50 g Perle hops
1 x Hallertau hop teabag thingy
Yeast (As yet undecided , may go again with the Jack M10 workhorse yeast given it's versatility and not having anywhere cool enough for a proper lager yeast to work)
May use some wilko beer finings to try and get a nice pilsener clarity .
My intended method is as before .
1, Bring 6l of water to boil and stir in the extra light DME .
2, Add 40g of Perle , boil for 60 min . Chuck the other 10g in after 45 min .
3, At end of the 60 min , take off heat and chuck in the Hallertau teabag .
4, Strain my wort into FV , stir in my LME and brew enhancer .
5, Top up to 20l and upon reaching 20-25c pitch the yeast . (This is where my yeast dilemma comes in , my spare room aka the fermenting room and bottling plant is a pretty steady 18-20c so a touch warm for true lager yeast and subsequent lagering so would I be better off just sticking with a standard ale yeast ? )
6, Ferment .. x days , add finings ?
7, Let the finings do their thing
8, Bottle (Next question , the coopers carbon drops were great for my amber ale thing but not enough for a lager in a 500ml bottle so I'm thinking 3/4 tsp of golden granulated sugar for bottle conditioning )
9, Condition in the fridge ? Will this help acheive a more lagery finish ?
According to the calculator thing I should end up with Original Gravity: 1.0509 Final Gravity: 1.0127 Alcohol by Volume: 4.998% so pretty much dead on what you'd expect from a Czech lager . Also expecting something in region of 18 IBU Any thoughts on whether using a non lager yeast will totally change the characteristics of things , or am I basically doing a lager flavoured ale ? As before any ideas , advice , suggestions on hop timings / additions are welcome and appreciated .
And they wonder why we drink ...

Jim
Site Admin

Re: A lagerish extract effort .

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 am

Your method looks fine to me.

I'm not an expert on making lager by any means, but I would guess that the Mangrove Jack will be OK - especially if you can't control fermentation temperature.

Yes, condition in the fridge if you can.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Nosferatu
Hollow Legs

Post by Nosferatu » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Cheers Jim , had a search through the site and there seems to be a consensus that using the Nottingham yeast is a decent lager alternative and luckily I've got some of that handy as well so once my malts turn up I'll be ready to go .

Nosferatu
Hollow Legs

Post by Nosferatu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Quick update , tweaked a few things , ended up using closer to 60g hops for the boil and 15g in the last 10 after checking a few recipes and realising I could do with more IBU and that my hops were at the lower end of the perle range regarding a.a. % at only 7.7 . Used the Nottingham yeast clone and it seems to be going well . Colour is a wee bit darker than expected but it might look better once fermented and clarified . O.G at pitching was 1,052 .