Sanke Keg Filling

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Muffman

Sanke Keg Filling

Post by Muffman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 am

Hi folks - newbie here so hello to you all.
Looking for advice on keg filling.
Just finished fermentation & secondary and ready to rack - have a 30 litre sanke keg with a tap fitting to allow me to fill straight into keg and also vent.
Would like to keg condition carbonate - so will add wort back to fermentor then rack into keg - so plan is to sterilise keg, then add straight into keg and pressurise with CO2 - then leave for few days at room temperature to carbonate
Question is whether this will work to carbonate the beer - assume I will have to leave certain headspace in the keg for CO2 to develop
Any help very much appreciated

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Sanke Keg Filling

Post by Jim » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:11 am

You'll need to use a higher pressure than for serving - 20 psi at least. Raise the pressure and chill the keg to serving temperature (it won't absorb the CO2 as well at room temp) and leave for a few days (you'll need to keep topping the pressure up as the beer absorbs the CO2).

You need to keep the pressure below the setting of the PRV of course (which I believe is about 40psi for Sanke kegs - that's what google tells me anyway).

It certainly works with Cornelius kegs as I've done it myself (as have many others).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:56 am

Jim wrote:You'll need to use a higher pressure than for serving - 20 psi at least. Raise the pressure and chill the keg to serving temperature (it won't absorb the CO2 as well at room temp) and leave for a few days (you'll need to keep topping the pressure up as the beer absorbs the CO2).).
I think muffman is talking about keg conditioning by adding back unfermented wort ( as per german purity law) to act as priming sugar not conditioning by co2. If so he is right in his approach I do exactly the same when I use cornies and it works perfectly for me. I just give a squirt of gas to seal the lid and then leave it to condition in a warm place and then transfer the cornie to somewhere cooler( I use my keezer) I always put some in a 330ml fizzy water bottle so that I can check how it is conditioning by squeezing the bottle. ie when it is rock hard I know that it has reached condition. You obviously have to batch prime when doing this
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:13 am

Now that I read the OP again, you're right. :oops:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Muffman

Post by Muffman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am

Big delay in my reply - but thanks for your help folks - very useful indeed! =D>