burco boiler

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Dyer

burco boiler

Post by Dyer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

I am going to attempt an extract brew soon and i have access to a burco boiler , would this be ok to use instead of large pan ?
Cheers
Duncan

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: burco boiler

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 pm

There are different sorts or Burco about, but if its a proper/true boiler and not an urn then it could well be suitable (if big enough for you, anyway). If its an urn (designed essentially to simmer) then you may have to bypass the temperature control to get a good boil.

Take care that the thick syrupy extract doesn't sink and burn onto to the element when you add it; some people add it when the element is switched off and stir vigorously, or dilute in a big pan of hot water before stirring in.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Dyer

Post by Dyer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Kev, I have always refered to it as an urn but it does go to 100 c. It was the burning on the element that was the bit concerning me.
Also I will be using dry spray malt not liquid will this still sink and burn ?
Thanks again
Duncan

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Spraymalt/DME can get scorched on the element, personally I'd still turn the element off whilst mixing it in just to be safe.

I'm not sure if its just me but I find DME mixes in easier in warm water than when boiling, so I tend to do it early. But TBH I don't do much extract these days, so others may have better methods.

Cheers
kev
Kev