Minimum boil time for LME and steeped crystal wort?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
lancsSteve

Minimum boil time for LME and steeped crystal wort?

Post by lancsSteve » Fri May 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Just wondering what minimum boil time could be for extract beers?

For all grain (which I used to do all the time but now time and kids mean when I rarely get to brew it's extract) you obviously need a good hour's vigorous boil to drive off volatile compounds and get a good hot and cold break for clarity. But what about with processed malt extract?

Anyone got experience or warnings of minimum boil times - I'll be using protafloc for clarifications and working with IPA type recipes so almost all the hops go in really late i.e. 15minutes or so.

Planning 2 brews tomorrow both based on pale LME - one with a bittering charge of dry first gold, then lots of late hopping with home grown first gold hops in last 5 mins and a long 80c steep added, the other also with some steeped paler crystal as well as palm sugar then 200g of Sorachi Ace and 100g Pacific Jade in total in a late charge, 80c steep and dry hop.

Wondering how long I'd NEED to boil them - can you get away with 45 or 30minutes for example?

lancsSteve

Re: Minimum boil time for LME and steeped crystal wort?

Post by lancsSteve » Fri May 22, 2015 12:45 pm

This https://byo.com/hops/item/10-10-steps-t ... ct-brewing still points towards 60 minute boils - is that real minimum then.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri May 22, 2015 2:59 pm

15 minutes at the boil is fine. Most extract has already had the nasties driven off by the extract producing process.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Jocky wrote:15 minutes at the boil is fine. Most extract has already had the nasties driven off by the extract producing process.
Extracts are boiled in the manufacturing process and don't really need to be boiled, which is why no-boil kits work.
I'm just here for the beer.

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Sun May 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Cheers, thought so but wanted to check!