Very Pale extract brew

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
rootsbrew

Very Pale extract brew

Post by rootsbrew » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Hello.

Wondering whether anyone's got any suggestions, either method or ingredients, on how to make a very pale ale, brewed from extract.

So far, all brews have been tending towards amber. Not sure if it's what I'm making the beer with or the way I'm making it that's causing this darker than intended colour.

Also, is there a correct term for such beers? Very Pale, Extra Pale, ...?

Thanks in advance for tips.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Very Pale extract brew

Post by Rookie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Briess pilsen DME makes a very pale beer; no reason it wouldn't work in a pale ale.
I'm just here for the beer.

rootsbrew

Post by rootsbrew » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks Rookie.

Clearly I was using the wrong extract for a properly pale beer. I've been brewing on a pretty ad hoc basis, so just visit LHBS as required, rather than buying online etc. They only sell stuff from Youngs homebrew, so normally only have Coopers Extract in stock. Now I see that the Coopers Light extract is 35 EBC, so no wonder it was producing darker beer than I wanted!

Seems like Pils Extract might be the way to go, to get that really lemony colour. Just read that Fourpure Pils is 6 EBC - I saw a bottle of this poured into a glass, just yesterday, and thought it looked the perfect colour. Anyone had any experience with the Malt Miller's pale LME? Comes in handy 3.5kg mini jerry cans, costs about 2/3 Briess extract and claims to result in 5 EBC @ 23 litres.

Any pointers on the how?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:25 pm

rootsbrew wrote:Thanks Rookie.

Clearly I was using the wrong extract for a properly pale beer. I've been brewing on a pretty ad hoc basis, so just visit LHBS as required, rather than buying online etc. They only sell stuff from Youngs homebrew, so normally only have Coopers Extract in stock. Now I see that the Coopers Light extract is 35 EBC, so no wonder it was producing darker beer than I wanted!

Seems like Pils Extract might be the way to go, to get that really lemony colour. Just read that Fourpure Pils is 6 EBC - I saw a bottle of this poured into a glass, just yesterday, and thought it looked the perfect colour. Anyone had any experience with the Malt Miller's pale LME? Comes in handy 3.5kg mini jerry cans, costs about 2/3 Briess extract and claims to result in 5 EBC @ 23 litres.

Any pointers on the how?
You can boil for a shorter time when using extracts, which helps it stay a bit lighter.

rootsbrew

Post by rootsbrew » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:09 am

Rookie wrote: You can boil for a shorter time when using extracts, which helps it stay a bit lighter.
Think combo of shorter boil and paler malts will be a good start.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:43 pm

rootsbrew wrote:
Rookie wrote: You can boil for a shorter time when using extracts, which helps it stay a bit lighter.
Think combo of shorter boil and paler malts will be a good start.
I recently brewed a pilsner with the Briess DME using a 21 minute boil that came out a perfect pilsner color.
A small amount of steeped specialty grains would give a good pale ale without adding a lot of color.

Harmergeddon

Post by Harmergeddon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Great this is a very helpful post as I have been experiencing similar issues.