FG on an extract IPA

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Caddarn

FG on an extract IPA

Post by Caddarn » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:19 pm

Recently brewed an IPA using safale 05. OG was 1064 and now at 3 weeks in the FV it's only gone down to 1020. I had to give the bucket a swirl a week ago as the krausen hadn't settled out and I wanted to dry hop. I reckon that swirl would have roused the yeast and that 1020 might actually be my FG. I will be bottling some of this but I'm wary that the gravity is too high and I'll have some bombs on my hands... any thoughts?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: FG on an extract IPA

Post by Jocky » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:54 pm

To be honest while I extract brewed (up until about 3 years ago) I could never get 100% dry extract beers to hit a particularly low final gravity which is desirable for hoppy ales.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:44 pm

It depends on the extract. Briess pilsner DME ferments to just about as low as all grain.
Earlier this year I brewed a "pilsner" using just Briess pilsner DME, homegrown sterling hops and Wyeast Pacman yeast at 72f. It went from 1.050 to 1.012 and scored a 38 in a competition.
I'm just here for the beer.

Caddarn

Post by Caddarn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:32 pm

I ended up putting the recipe into Beersmith and I was only .002 off its expected FG so I went ahead and bottled... Unfortunately it looks like I have an allergy to the Centennial hop so I reckon my mates are going to be happy to see me turning up with armfuls of beer to give away!