coopers kit, no dme?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
patwestlake
Steady Drinker

coopers kit, no dme?

Post by patwestlake » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Clearing out now I've gone all grain and I've a Coopers Aussie Pale Ale to get rid of, so to speak. Rather than just do a recipe from the Coopers site (fruit salad ale sounds good for summer), I wondered what would happened if I just used the tin contents brewed short to 10-12 litres with no added DME. Might hop tea it and or dry hop to boost the aroma etc, but wondered if the bitterness ratio would be all out because the bittering hops were aimed at at least a 20 litre final volume?

Any experience, thoughts or other recipes with a Coopers APA welcome!

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: coopers kit, no dme?

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Your bitterness will indeed be out of kilter if you short brew the kit. As you are already kitted out for all grain why not do a mini-mash and then then bung the kit into it? No bittering hops required.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 pm

When I was doing kits I did a toucan (two can) version of the Coopers APA. I think I brewed short to 20 or 21 litres as well. It was very bitter initially, but actually turned out to be one of the best kit brews I made. Beautiful mouthfeel. A single can brewed to 10 or 11 litres would be similar I reckon.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Altonrea Homebrew

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

There is a list on the internet somewhere of the IBU values for all Coopers kits. I would guess the APA would be in the 40IBU range if brewed short as I think I saw it was around 20IBU at 23lts.

Edit - Found it

Mexican Cerveza = 14.6
Australian Pale Ale = 18.5
Lager = 21.2
Canadian Blonde = 22.8
Draught = 22.8
Real Ale = 30.4
English Bitter = 32
Dark Ale = 32
Stout = 38.6

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm

+1 to the mini-mash suggestion, I've recently been doing 1-can kits brewed short to 16-18L and with a mini-mash and they've come out great. I plug the kit into brewing software as 1.5kg LME then adjust volume and grains to give me the desired ABV. Usually 90%+ base malt with a bit of light crystal and/or wheat malt, for a bit of variation.

I've done the APA before and it's a pretty bland kit, would benefit from some hops too e.g.Cascade. Mainly steeping but a short boil to add a tad more bitterness won't hurt.