Witbier - Original Gravity Way Too Low?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Avocado232

Witbier - Original Gravity Way Too Low?

Post by Avocado232 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

For my third brew, I have decided to follow through with a quick Witbier using an extract method. I took a hydrometer reading once the wort was cool (and before pitching the yeast) and it seemed to be way to low! The reading I got was 1.020, whereas I believe the aim is around 1.045?

The recipe I have used is:

23 Litres -

3Kg Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (Coopers)
32g Saaz Hops
25g Orange Peel
25g Coriander Seeds
M21 Belgian Wit Yeast

What will this mean for my final beer? Is there anything I can do to solve this issue? The beer is currently fermenting on day 1.

Thanks in advance!

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Witbier - Original Gravity Way Too Low?

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:58 pm

How odd. Just double checked in a book and you have 6.6 lbs of LME in 6 US gallons of water - you should easily have a gravity of 1.035 or more.

Not much you can screw up with extract, how confident are you of your gravity measurement?

Does your hydrometer measure 1.000 in water at 21 degC?

If you really think you're down on gravity you can add some more fermentables to fix it, LME, DME or sugar.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm

are you sure of a thorough mixing? when i started with kits i struggled to get correct readings because of this. as Jambo says, there's not much that can go wrong with extract.
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Some advice that was given to me which may be useful. Make sure your hydrometer is spot on. I got another and realised my first one was way out!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:11 am

I don't know much about extract brewing. Are you saying that you are using 100% wheat malt extract?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Avocado232

Post by Avocado232 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys - much appreciated! The more I read up on the matter, the more I'm beginning to think that I didn't mix the wort vigorously enough after diluting. The consensus seems to be that the final beer will most likely come out as expected, with a slightly lower ABV.

The extract I am using is half wheat half barley in a standard 1.5 kg can.

I'll keep you guys updated on this. Thinking about dry hopping a few left over hops after a few days (Citra, Apollo, Amarillo), as well as a few crushed lemongrass stalks. How does this sound?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Avocado232 wrote:Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys - much appreciated! The more I read up on the matter, the more I'm beginning to think that I didn't mix the wort vigorously enough after diluting. The consensus seems to be that the final beer will most likely come out as expected, with a slightly lower ABV.

The extract I am using is half wheat half barley in a standard 1.5 kg can.

I'll keep you guys updated on this. Thinking about dry hopping a few left over hops after a few days (Citra, Apollo, Amarillo), as well as a few crushed lemongrass stalks. How does this sound?
It's not a beer that is dry hopped or late hopped for that matter. It is the spices that should be predominant.
Crushed cardamom works well. If I were you I would leave it as it is this time. Next time experiment because you never know. 20 IBU is the norm.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)