Brewferm Abdij - stuck fermentation.

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
JohnRB
Tippler

Brewferm Abdij - stuck fermentation.

Post by JohnRB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:36 pm

With 500g of dark candi sugar I hit target OG of 1071. Rehydrated the yeast at 26degC and pitched it at 19degC.

Vigorous fermentation kicked off within 12 hours and finished within 3 days. Fermentation temperature was held steady at 19degC.

After 5 days (this morning) I had a present gravity of 1030 against a FG target of 1010. I have roused the yeast but, if this doesn't work, I'll pitch a rehydrated sachet of SafBrew T58. The question is should I re-aerate the wort and risk infection or not aerate and risk starving the yeast of oxygen?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

John.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Brewferm Abdij - stuck fermentation.

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeast will scavange oxygen after the ferment, so assuming it gets going again oxygen won't cause any oxidizing, and with a big gravity beer, adding oxygen is usually worthwhile. Can't see any issues but tbh t-58 will probably chew it dry regardless.

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the quick reply.
My concern with re-aerating isn't so much oxidation, which I agree shouldn't be a masjor problem, but infection from whatever bugs are in the air.

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 am

Hello John.
I just had the same scenario as yourself.A good stir with a sterilised plastic paddle got mine goin again.
It got down to 1.010 and i have just this minute finished bottling.
I now always pitch these kits at 24c.Iff yer have a heat pad or belt or FTH try getting yer temperature up towards 24c before stirring.
Thats what i would do.Good luck.
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Brewferm instructions recommend fermenting at 25C (yes, higher than I would have thought) so maybe 19C was a bit low for it?

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 am

sandimas wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm
Brewferm instructions recommend fermenting at 25C (yes, higher than I would have thought) so maybe 19C was a bit low for it?
Well that made me re-read the intructions but all is well!
The 25C refers to the temperature for re-hydrating the yeast prior to pitching. The instructions then say that fermentation should be in the range 18-23C which is a relief.
Thanks for your interest.

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:51 am

Update:
The present gravity is now 1012 and could drop further.
I got the fermentation re-started by tipping out the CO2 (heavier than air) and vigourously aerating. A taste this morning sugests, fingers crossed, that I've not introduced an infection.I'll leave well alone until early next week when it should be due for bottling.
Thanks to all for advice.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 pm

John,
How do you `tip out` CO2?
New one for me! #-o

WA

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:55 am

WalesAles wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 pm
John,
How do you `tip out` CO2?
New one for me! #-o

WA
Good question!

CO2's heavier than air so if you tilt the fermenter a lot of it will flow out to be replaced by air. Do this a number of times and the the CO2 will be significantly diluted. More importantly this gas will contain a lot more oxygen than the 'pure' CO2 in the headspace which was what I wanted for re-aerating the wort.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 pm

John,
I will try hovering my syphon tube 10mm above the beer and suck out the CO2,
if the tube outside the FV is below the beer level, it will just be like siphoning petrol
when I was a kid! :D
We`ll see.

WA

darrellm
Tippler

Post by darrellm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm

JohnRB wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 am
The 25C refers to the temperature for re-hydrating the yeast prior to pitching. The instructions then say that fermentation should be in the range 18-23C which is a relief.
I must have a different set of instructions - mine clearly say "stand the fermentor in a warm place (25C) and let ferment for about 10 days". I have these instructions saved as a .PDF, they may have updated them.

Glad you got it sorted, I usually ferment mine warmer than I'd do other beers and it usually comes out great. Looking at my records, most finish at 1012 but I occasionally get one to go down to 1010.

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:31 am

darrellm wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm
I must have a different set of instructions - mine clearly say "stand the fermentor in a warm place (25C) and let ferment for about 10 days". I have these instructions saved as a .PDF, they may have updated them.
Interesting! Looks like two completely different sets of instructions.

Makes me wonder, though, if I'd fermemented at a higher temperature if the fermentation would have stuck. Bit of a dilema for the next brew.

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:20 pm

I've heard before that there are different instructions about. Personally, I do ferment these on the warm side whereas everything else gets fermented 18-20C.

Just had my last bottle of Abdij this lunchtime - brewed 2 years, 3months ago! It was very nice.