No boil?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
demig
Hollow Legs
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: No boil?

Post by demig » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Rookie wrote:Yesterday the cardiologist said my wife is doing really well and doesn't need to see her again until June.
Good news. Glad to hear things are going well.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 pm

demig wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Rookie wrote:Yesterday the cardiologist said my wife is doing really well and doesn't need to see her again until June.
Good news. Glad to hear things are going well.
Thank you.
I'm just here for the beer.

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6782
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: No boil?

Post by orlando » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am

\:D/
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: No Stout About It (Porter)
Conditioning: 4 Hops To Heaven
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Twist & Stout, I Am A Patriot Too, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Three)

Up Next: With A Bitter Luck, Song For Keith
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 pm

orlando wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am
\:D/
Indeed.
I'm just here for the beer.

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 am

Re: No boil?

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:41 am

Everyone is glad to hear of your wifes recovery, you shouldmake her some Guinness from an 1883 recipe from Ron Pattinson, 6.9 kg.pale malt,0.794 gms. amber malt, 455 gms black malt fuggles 85 gms for 90 mins. fuggles 85 gms fof 60 mins. goldings 71 gms , boil for 30 mins. She will soon be well.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:12 pm

SHIELDS EXILE wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:41 am
Everyone is glad to hear of your wifes recovery, you shouldmake her some Guinness from an 1883 recipe from Ron Pattinson, 6.9 kg.pale malt,0.794 gms. amber malt, 455 gms black malt fuggles 85 gms for 90 mins. fuggles 85 gms fof 60 mins. goldings 71 gms , boil for 30 mins. She will soon be well.
I do plan on a stout in the not too distant future, but Guinness is one of the few stouts that she doesn't care for.
Last week I did a apa/apl. There different extracts and steeped simcoe, chinook, and centennial. It's gone from 1.050 to 1.016 after a week at upper 40s f with S-189. I expect another two or three points, after which I plan to dryhop with German cascade, wai-iti, and glacier.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:12 pm
SHIELDS EXILE wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:41 am
Everyone is glad to hear of your wifes recovery, you shouldmake her some Guinness from an 1883 recipe from Ron Pattinson, 6.9 kg.pale malt,0.794 gms. amber malt, 455 gms black malt fuggles 85 gms for 90 mins. fuggles 85 gms fof 60 mins. goldings 71 gms , boil for 30 mins. She will soon be well.
I do plan on a stout in the not too distant future, but Guinness is one of the few stouts that she doesn't care for.
Last week I did a apa/apl. There different extracts and steeped simcoe, chinook, and centennial. It's gone from 1.050 to 1.016 after a week at upper 40s f with S-189. I expect another two or three points, after which I plan to dryhop with German cascade, wai-iti, and glacier.
It's down to 1.012 and I'll be dry hopping in the next two or three days.
The hydrometer sample tasted nice.
I'm just here for the beer.

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 am

Re: No boil?

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 am

My stout sg. was1059 and fell to1025 in32 hours, It gets up to47 degrees C in my shed in , February in South Australia, but does not affect the beer. It is now bottled but I wait a few days then carbonate.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:24 pm

I did a no-boil stout yesterday.
2 gallons, 1.048
1 pound 10 ounces pale ale dme
8 ounces golden light dme
1 ounce styrian goldings
1 pack S-33
8 ounces roast barley +
4 ounces blackprinz malt +
4 ounces caraffa II cold steeped overnight in 2 quarts of filtered water.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Thu May 02, 2019 5:34 pm

We celebrated my wife's birthday on Monday and she is doing way better.
I also bottled the batch of stout April 26.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Two gallons of no-boil brown ale.
IMG_20190512_163353.jpg
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:28 pm

I recently got the go ahead from the editor of Zymurgy to do a Last Drop piece on no-boil brewing for the Nov/Dec issue.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Rookie wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 pm
Two gallons of no-boil brown ale.IMG_20190512_163353.jpg
I bottled this on Monday: yummy 😋.
And on Tuesday I brewed a batch of IBUless hazy session IPA that I'll be serving at a brewfest downtown on the fifth of July. This will be the first year that homebrewers will be included.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2941
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 pm
Location: Crescent City, California

Re: No boil?

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Rookie wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:28 pm
I recently got the go ahead from the editor of Zymurgy to do a Last Drop piece on no-boil brewing for the Nov/Dec issue.
Bad news (kind of):
I just found out that this piece is being pushed back to the Jan/Feb 2020 issue.
Good news:
At the same time I got the go ahead for a feature article on extract brewing.
I'm just here for the beer.

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1522
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: No boil?

Post by soupdragon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi all

Rather than start a fresh thread I thought I'd add to this one.

First off, @Rookie, I hope your wife's recovery is progressing well? I'm due to have a valve replaced myself when the doc says my condition has reached the stage that requires action. Not looking forward to it but it's something that has got to be done.

Anyway, I usually brew all grain but of late (for one reason or another) I've done quite a few kits. The two can/big pouch types that give you 2.5-3kg of malt extract and to be fair, they do make a very drinkable beer.

As regards the process of these no boil brews. Simply put is it basically.......
Mix malt extract with some boiling water.
Add some iso hop extract (if required).
Top up to brew length and pitch yeast.
Add dry hops via your preferred method for additional flavour/aroma.
Keg and enjoy.

Sort of a deconstructed beer kit if you will? It's something I will give a go in a few brews time but I just ordered another 3 kits last night :lol:

Cheers. Tom

Post Reply