First extract- help

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Caerphillybrewer
Sober

First extract- help

Post by Caerphillybrewer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello all

I have been attempting to put together a citra heavy extract IPA to return to brewing after a house move, baby, and other life stuff which has got in the way of my hobbies! and have come up with the below (which is pretty much a slimmed down zombie dust, ish).

Any advice on if this looks okay would be appreciated. One note- I intend to add 1.5kg light malt at the start of the boil and remaining 1.5kg when wort drops to 80c.

brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/448785/citra-ipa

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: First extract- help

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Add all of the malt early on, it needs to go through the boiling process to remove proteins from the malt.

Caerphillybrewer
Sober

Post by Caerphillybrewer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:31 pm

[quote=Robwalkeragain post_id=841364 time=1550237681 user_id=18529]
Add all of the malt early on, it needs to go through the boiling process to remove proteins from the malt.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I have seen some instructions from an extract kit which say to add 1/2 at the beginning; and the balance of the malt later (in this case 5 mins from end of the boil), so thought the late addition would be fine?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Caerphillybrewer wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:31 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm
Thanks for the reply. I have seen some instructions from an extract kit which say to add 1/2 at the beginning; and the balance of the malt later (in this case 5 mins from end of the boil), so thought the late addition would be fine?
The late edition is fine. Extracts are boiled in the manufacturing process and don't really need any more boiling, which is why no boil kits work.
I'm just here for the beer.

Caerphillybrewer
Sober

Post by Caerphillybrewer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:35 pm

[quote=Rookie post_id=841370 time=1550254536 user_id=989]
[quote=Caerphillybrewer post_id=841366 time=1550241106 user_id=20677]
[quote=Robwalkeragain post_id=841364 time=1550237681 user_id=18529]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The late edition is fine. Extracts are boiled in the manufacturing process and don't really need any more boiling, which is why no boil kits work.
[/quote]

Thank you. So method and recipe both look okay?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:32 pm

I can't access brewersfriend, so I can't comment on method or recipe.
I'm just here for the beer.

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Recipe looks OK to me. Personally I don't see much point in 15/10/5 min separate hop additions, I'd just go for one late boil addition at 10 or 15, plus the hop steep at the end and dry hop.

You can add all the extract at the start or half and then the other half towards the end. In fact I've added the 2nd half straight into the FV and mixed it in before now, it doesn't need to be boiled. I believe adding it earlier darkens it a bit.

DME is horrible stuff once it gets damp so I tend to add it all at the start these days, gets messy trying to add it at the end of the boil plus it can drop the temp enough for the boil to stop.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Adding my tuppence worth:

Before I took the plunge and went AG, my typical extract method was boil hops with plain water and any speciality grains for the time required to achieve IBUs. I then poured the liquor through a sieve into my fermenter and then - using a kitchen whisk - whisked the DME into the hot wort topping up as needed with cold water to achieve target volume - this had the effect of getting temperature in the right range for yeast pitching.

I had some decent brews from this method, but TBH never tried any late hopping using this method; it was very much a one-shot, simple method.

So I concur with those who say extract does NOT need boiling.

J
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Caerphillybrewer
Sober

Post by Caerphillybrewer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Thank you Sandimas and Cobnut for your replies. I'll tinker with the hop schedule but definitely thinking of NOT adding DME all in one go.