Anyone else here doing Brew in a Bag BIAB?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
EoinMag

Re: Anyone else here doing Brew in a Bag BIAB?

Post by EoinMag » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeasty Rob wrote:Only just noticed this thread and its quite lengthy so sorry if this has been asked in previous pages.

Would you think this method would still prove efficient for a 1 gallon brew?

I'm thinking of going AG in the new year, but would like to run some "test" recipes first to see how it all goes on a small scale. The BIAB method looks a great way to begin with just a stock pot and my normally brewing gear.

Was thinking of using one of these pots (you can pick them up cheap from ikea):

With some netting as a fine liner would be easy to strain out the grain.
It'd be perfect for a one gallon brew, just the same as steeping grains in that case right?

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:19 am

I'm not sure what the situation is in the UK but in the USA and here in Australia you can get pots like that Ikea one, only huuuge, http://www.happymicks.com.au/prod145.htm - about 40Litres which would be enough to do a full length. They are sold as crab or shrimp cookers at camping and outdoor supplies stores. Holes are a bit bigger but as you say some voile mesh material would work fine.

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:57 am

Managed to get the missus to pop out shopping today as she's had the day off work.

She's been to Ikea and picked up one those pots and also gone to Makro and picked up two cases of 450ml Grolsch (flip tops) for me.

Of course the Grolsch will need to be emptied first :wink: but then i'll have 24 flip top bottles for some AG brewing in the new year.

Must admit, I'm amazed how expensive the flip top bottles are in the brew shops. I have picked them up for only about 4 quid dearer with the beer in.

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:12 am

Rob how big are those pots in litres? You may well be able to do an over gravity brew like the Megabreweries do and dilute to get a bigger length.

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Bribie wrote:Rob how big are those pots in litres? You may well be able to do an over gravity brew like the Megabreweries do and dilute to get a bigger length.
Unfortunately they didn't have one in stock, but I got a similar insert for an 8 litre stock pot that should just about be ok. Thats not a bad idea though doing it on a small scale.

I'm going to do some research into the technique as it'll be my first AG brew as well as BIAB so will be very experimental. Certainly looks straightforward, but I'm sure in practice there will be a lot of scope for error.