100% Corn smash BIAB

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
bad Lee

100% Corn smash BIAB

Post by bad Lee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:47 am

So,I have 1 1/2 lb of home malted corn and am going to do a BIAB of 1 gallon ,using a single hop.
What kind of measurements am I looking at for say 60min and 15 mins of a 1-1.5 hour boil,or maybe a 3 hour boil?
The single hop is.......god know what.My mum just sent mr a "dual purpose" hop from Karratha.
Any advice at all we :? lcome.

coatesg

Re: 100% Corn smash BIAB

Post by coatesg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Hope you mean barley rather than corn...

bad Lee

Post by bad Lee » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 am

No mate,sorry to rock the boat :oops:
We just don't get barley here,so I am going with what I can get my grubby little hands on! =P~

flything

Post by flything » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:20 am

Do you not know what the alpha acid percentage is? Without that you're going to be completely in the dark. If they are UK dual purpose then I'd guess around 4-5% if US then 6-8%.

Corn is going to be pretty light in flavour so you probably don't want a huge amount of bitterness or it'll be completely unbalanced.

A 60 minute boil should be fine.

Try this for a quick recipe calculator.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

Your probably looking for about 10g / 1/3oz of hops (assuming around 5% Alpha Acid) in at 60 mins, then half that amount at 15 mins.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 am

So malting corn worked - brilliant!
Based on my experience of wild english hops I'd use 17g boiled for an hour. But as flything says if what you have are amerikan hops they'll be more bitter so you'll need less. Jeopardy, if only these damned scientists had left hops alone! If you aren't sure you can compromise by adding 10g at the beginning of the boil and 7 g at 30m. Until you know how they behave I'd skip late hopping and try that on a later brew if you think the aromas up to it. Good luck

flything

Post by flything » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:43 pm

I think the only way you'll find out is by trying! Also tasting the wort (cool it first!!) after 60 mins of boiling, and if it's not bitter enough then boil a bit longer, although the taste will change and mellow as it ferments so you want it pretty bitter at this point, but possibly not mouth puckering.

In future you could always see how much it would cost to have stuff sent over from Australia, http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/prod ... p?store=CB

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi BL

Am I right in thinking that your mum has bought and posted (From Karratha, Western Australia) some 'dual purpose hops' but until they arrive you dont know what they are(?)

I would imagine if they are bought from a LBS in WA then they will advise the Alpha acid contant on the pack.
In which case you can use the calulator link provided by a previous poster :)

Good luck with your corn mash experiment!

I would imagine it would be thin & not unlike the local 'lager'... But I do admire your steadfast aqpproach to making your own beer despite access to locally sourced brewing malts and hops!

Good luck & happy brewing!

:D

Guy
8)

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Ok then! If it is actually malted maize, then I'd think low IBUs and shoot for something very "lager like", perhaps with a little aroma addition later in the boil.

bad Lee

Post by bad Lee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 am

You hit the nail on the head Manx Guy, I just have to wait and see what I get and fumble on from there.
This is a true experiment,eh!
So,would 10gr of what ever it is @ 60min and then a further 5gr @ 30 or 15 mins sound like a goer?

flything

Post by flything » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 am

Once you know the AA%, assuming it's on the package, then you can work it out more precisely.

I had a bottle of Bud 66 4% yesterday (someone left it in my fridge), not pleasant but very bland, think that was probably made from corn and rice, no malt flavour whatsoever and low bitterness/hop.

Bear in mind that the calculator above is for US gallons, so if working in Imperial or litres then take that into account.

bad Lee

Post by bad Lee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 am

Would I be correct in thinking that a US gallon is 4.5 lt and that UK gallon is 5.5 lt?
Where in north Shrops are you fly? I am a proud Salopian myself!

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:34 am

bad Lee wrote:Would I be correct in thinking that a US gallon is 4.5 lt and that UK gallon is 5.5 lt?
Nopes. A US Gallon is 3.8 litres and a UK gallon is 4.5 litres.

flything

Post by flything » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Lee I'm in Clive, although being born in Yorkshire and then living all over the place until settling here a dozen or so years ago probably makes me an honorary Salopian at best, great place though.

Let us know how the brew turns out.

bad Lee

Post by bad Lee » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:19 am

Am going to rack this to secondary tonight.The colour has gone from deep red/brewn to brown.
I went with Cluster,had a 12gr bag.So in went 4gr@60, 4gr@30 and 4 gr@ 10.Oh,and also added 300gr of dark soft brown sugar. =D>

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I used to have 'pozole' in mexico which is unmalted partially fermented, slightly rotten corn with the sprout sticking out. Boiled with a pigs head - something of an acquired taste!

How's this one going? My 100% wheat beer came through super clear so intrigued to see how an all corn recipe will work - all rye for me sometime soon (my 60% rye roggenbier sparge nightmare was a great beer but took HOURS to sparge so swore never again but BIAB makes such thigs very intriguing)