A few questions

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Redimpz
Hollow Legs

A few questions

Post by Redimpz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:38 pm

OK, i've not tried this but it looks like it is worth a go. I recently bought a very nice and shiny 19l pot with the intention of trying an extract brew but then found this section on BIAB. just got a couple of questions first.
1. should I add the speciality grains at the same time as the malt? (can't really see why not but it's worth asking)
2. I've got GW's book, should i follow the recipes as given? (I'm looking at the 19l recipes as they should fit in the pot ok)
thanks in advance

Madbrewer

Re: A few questions

Post by Madbrewer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Yes and Yes

If you use the same quantities, you'll probably add liqor to the boiler once the grains have been removed. I would leave enough space at the top to prevent boilovers and 'dilute' down to the correct OG in the fermenter.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Redimpz wrote:OK, i've not tried this but it looks like it is worth a go. I recently bought a very nice and shiny 19l pot with the intention of trying an extract brew but then found this section on BIAB. just got a couple of questions first.
1. should I add the speciality grains at the same time as the malt? (can't really see why not but it's worth asking)
2. I've got GW's book, should i follow the recipes as given? (I'm looking at the 19l recipes as they should fit in the pot ok)
thanks in advance
Have a look on http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=23

It's a whole section of a forum devoted to stovetop BIAB, you'll get all the technique info you need there.

The maxi BIAB guide actually uses a 19l stockpot.

Tom_D

Post by Tom_D » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:05 am

I use a 19L pot for BIAB also. As EoinMag mentioned, it's worth checking out the biabrewer site. If you sign up you can download their calculator which makes everything a lot clearer.

redbenson111

Post by redbenson111 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:22 am

I have done as you suggested and signed up to the biabrewer site to get their calculator but it says that I do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to the post. Did you have to do anything other than register?

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:42 am

redbenson111 wrote:I have done as you suggested and signed up to the biabrewer site to get their calculator but it says that I do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to the post. Did you have to do anything other than register?

You need to make one post in the BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members section in the post http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=119 then your account will be fully activated.

redbenson111

Post by redbenson111 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks, I'll get straight onto it.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Got myself some voile today, a 1m length was just £2, just need some grain and I'm ready for a trial run.
BTW all the talk has been on doing the mash in a pot, why not do it in a coolbox? potentially more room for the grain and should keep temperature better. any thoughts?

RdeV

Post by RdeV » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:55 am

Hi Redimpz, the reason for that is simply to reduce the amount of equipment necessary to make AG beer. So, mashing and boiling in just the one vessel. Also, there's manifold and lautering issues that are overcome, BIAB has no trouble with 100% wheat for instance, it has positive lautering.

Also, even a thin stainless stockpot with a couple of jumpers will keep mash temps for two hours or more.

Hope this helps!

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:36 pm

So as far as calculations go, I only have to work out the efficiency of my boiler (stockpot) to determine the amount of liquor I need. Then just follow the recipes in GW's book for the grain bill.

I this ALL there is to it ?
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

RdeV

Post by RdeV » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi BO'C, that's one way but there's a simple ratio of 6:1 Liquor:Grist, starting there for full- volume BIAB makes it easier, obviously the grain takes some space too, so be generous at 8 or 9:1 to work out how much grain your mash tun/ kettle can mash with comfort. Obviously you need to have it big- enough for the recipe, if you don't then just scale linearly.
With MaxiBIAB mentioned earlier, the kettle volume is less than the brewlength and it isn't bound by the ratio thing above, a 19L stockpot is good for 23L batches and beyond.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks RdeV.
I am looking at a 40 litre Ali stockpot and a Wok burner as we speak.
So, I may be able to start sooner than I thought.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

RdeV

Post by RdeV » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 am

No sweat BO'C, as mentioned yesterday, an attraction for novice brewers wanting to try AG is that BAIB translates to starting sooner, with less gear and at low cost, minus a whole lot of risk. I hope you can get stuck into AG pronto while I'm sure you'll find it very worthwhile! :D