BIAB (without the bag?)

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Sandybee

BIAB (without the bag?)

Post by Sandybee » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Just about assembled everything for my first AG brew in 20 years.

Had got to the stage where I had built a mash tun ( just a large FV with improvised false bottom) then I read about BIAB.

So, my question is - is a full volume mash using the mash tun instead of the bag likely to be successful? I would be using a plastic bucket to mash in and hold the temperature by wrapping insulation round it. I would then drain the mash tun into the boiler with no sparge.

I can't see that this method would be much different from BIAB,but then I haven't brewed for 20 years so what do I know?

If success is possible by this method, how do I calculate the stike temerature given the much higher volume of water ( I'll start calling it liquor once I've done a successful brew)?

Sandybee

danbrew

Re: BIAB (without the bag?)

Post by danbrew » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Looks the same to me. There's a strike temp calculator on the hints and tips iirc. Alternatively, you only need to be one or two degrees above mash temp with the larger volume of water...

Welcome back to a great hobby!

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Should work just fine, I normally prepare the strike liquor at around 3 degrees higher than the mash, but make sure that the grain bill is at room temperature and not at common UK winter temperature out of the cupboard in the garage. Full volume is not confined to BIAB, I believe the HERMs brotherhood have a 'no sparge' regime but I don't know much about that, not my field ;-)

Madbrewer

Post by Madbrewer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Sandybee wrote:Just about assembled everything for my first AG brew in 20 years.

Had got to the stage where I had built a mash tun ( just a large FV with improvised false bottom) then I read about BIAB.

So, my question is - is a full volume mash using the mash tun instead of the bag likely to be successful? I would be using a plastic bucket to mash in and hold the temperature by wrapping insulation round it. I would then drain the mash tun into the boiler with no sparge.

I can't see that this method would be much different from BIAB,but then I haven't brewed for 20 years so what do I know?

If success is possible by this method, how do I calculate the stike temerature given the much higher volume of water ( I'll start calling it liquor once I've done a successful brew)?

Sandybee
How are you planning to drain/ extract th wort from the grain? You need to strain it somehow. When I use my mashtun with manifold the grain acts like a filter - never tried the bag so I can not comment on whether a sieve would be worse than a bag somehow? Without the sparge just means you are mashing in the full volume of liquor. As long as the maths add up (i.e. you have enough grain to extract that much sugar) then yes I think it would work just fine. I wouldn't be surprised though if you need to allow your fermented beer longer to 'drop' as I expect the unfiltered cloudy wort would be more troublesome to work with, But i've never (actually) done it!

Sandybee

Post by Sandybee » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Draining it through the false bottom of mash tun. I made the false bottom by slicing off the bottom 4 cms or so of a food grade bucket. I then cut an inverted "U" to straddle the threaded bit of the tap, I then bored 100's of holes in the device which, hopefully, will ensure a free flow of wort. There is no more than a little wiggle room on the false bottom, so it won't be dislodged when I stir.
Sound OK to you?

Thanks for encouraging response.

Sandybee

Madbrewer

Post by Madbrewer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Sandybee wrote:Draining it through the false bottom of mash tun. I made the false bottom by slicing off the bottom 4 cms or so of a food grade bucket. I then cut an inverted "U" to straddle the threaded bit of the tap, I then bored 100's of holes in the device which, hopefully, will ensure a free flow of wort. There is no more than a little wiggle room on the false bottom, so it won't be dislodged when I stir.
Sound OK to you?

Thanks for encouraging response.

Sandybee
Sounds good! So Basically you're doing a full volume mash? Now all you need is a recipe! (Also you might consider batch sparging if you want to do a 40 pint brew length and there's not enough room in the FV. Basically instead of using a sparger you top up & stir in water collect wort, top up stir in again and collect so you have 40 pints worth to boil?)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Hmm, if you've already got a mash tun, what's the advantage of following BIAB techniques to avoid a sparge? Just do a normal all grain with a batch sparge. Your efficiency will be higher.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Sandybee

Post by Sandybee » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Point taken - a batch sparge it will be!
BIAB sounds interesting though.

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:51 am

The false bottom with lots of holes is starting to resemble the German Braumeister idea - I had toyed with the idea myself and even bought a food grade bucket to play with, the idea being to immerse the entire bucket with holes in bottom, and raise it up after the mash... sort of a solid "bag" but enabling the formation of a grain bed. Also I was going to install a march pump to recirculate the wort... etc. In the end I just bought a second electric 40L urn so I can do double BIAB batches, but still toying with the idea for the future maybe....

Braumeister:

I don't know who did their translating for them but that 'discharge cock' is definitely grounds for sueing them :twisted: