Not sure this is the right stuff

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
PEACOCKSUIT

Not sure this is the right stuff

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 pm

I have a spare day to try a BIAB brew tomorrow. The grains etc are on order and will be here in the morning.

So, I needed to get the bag sorted. Unfortunately the local textile shop lady's whilst being very helpful didn't really know what the hell I was on about :lol: . They didnt have any 100% synthetic stuff :roll: .
I ended up with a Voile of sorts but its cotton/polyester mix. It was cheap and my sister owes me a favor so I'm getting a bag knocked up tonight. If I only use it for one or 2 brews I'm happy.

Is there a problem with cotton if its just getting used once or twice?

EoinMag

Re: Not sure this is the right stuff

Post by EoinMag » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:02 pm

PEACOCKSUIT wrote:I have a spare day to try a BIAB brew tomorrow. The grains etc are on order and will be here in the morning.

So, I needed to get the bag sorted. Unfortunately the local textile shop lady's whilst being very helpful didn't really know what the hell I was on about :lol: . They didnt have any 100% synthetic stuff :roll: .
I ended up with a Voile of sorts but its cotton/polyester mix. It was cheap and my sister owes me a favor so I'm getting a bag knocked up tonight. If I only use it for one or 2 brews I'm happy.

Is there a problem with cotton if its just getting used once or twice?

Nope no problem with cotton, it just won't last very long.

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:18 pm

PEACOCKSUIT wrote:Unfortunately the local textile shop lady's whilst being very helpful didn't really know what the hell I was on about :lol: . They didnt have any 100% synthetic stuff :roll: .
Bit odd that because if it's a curtain/ material shop then you shouldn't have a problem. Bog standard net curtain is normally 100% polyester. Maybe you confused them with the use of the foreign version of the word...? According to the missus, voile is shiney net curtain (?) but where I come from, it's all net curtain... 100% poly...

Try ebay but it seems a bit of a rip off... I only paid a pound a metre...

RajBoab

Post by RajBoab » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 am

I got mine in Remnant Kings!

Swiss Voile was what I asked for. Curtain sheer is another name for it, I think.

I'm not convinced getting it made into a bag is worth it. A large square draped in the mashtun which can ge gathered up at the corners works just as well and there's no weak points (seams) to burst.

Stuart

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 pm

RajBoab wrote:I got mine in Remnant Kings!

Swiss Voile was what I asked for. Curtain sheer is another name for it, I think.

I'm not convinced getting it made into a bag is worth it. A large square draped in the mashtun which can ge gathered up at the corners works just as well and there's no weak points (seams) to burst.

Stuart

It depends on how well sewn it is. I can pretty much guarantee that a properly sewn up bag with normal usage will not burst. I've tested the seams on the bags my wife is making to destruction and I can guarantee forces like that will not happen in normal usage so I'm happy that the seams won't burst.

But you are perfectly correct there is no need to make up a bag or get it done properly, but then a lot of things can be done with a simply functional outlook and work fine, or you can take things a step further and make them function and look a bit better.