First all grain attempt

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
PEACOCKSUIT

First all grain attempt

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:55 pm

I followed the recipe for Jims bitter from the technique part of the site. The gravity of the wort was 1.032. Is that about right?

HighHops

Re: First all grain attempt

Post by HighHops » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Well done on going for your first AG. SG does seem a bit low but not bad for a first attempt. For 40 pints you should get about 1037 for 75% efficiency. Did you take your SG at 20C. If it was warmer then it will give you a lower reading.

I'm sure it will be a tasty brew whatever!

PEACOCKSUIT

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 pm

I took it today after the wort had fully cooled to room temp. Actually I had already pitched the yeast this morning. I slow chilled it overnight and wanted to get the yeast in asap. As I was late for work I didn't have time to decant some to take a reading of.

Can we hazard a guess at a final abv at this point? Id be happy if it was 4% or there about....

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm

If your OG was 1032 for a 5 gallon brew with 3.5Kg pale malt and 250g crystal your efficiency is 65%. if you ferment it down to 1008 then it will be 3.0%ABV. You should be aiming for an efficiency of >75%. Maybe you didn't sparge for long enough! It's hard to say.

You could always add a bit of spraymalt or just enjoy it as a session ale. 600g will get you up to 4.0%ABV.

You should download Beer Engine v1.09 to work all this stuff out. It's easy to use and an invaluable tool once you get in to AG.

PEACOCKSUIT

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 pm

I didn't sparge as its not part of the technique :? . Perhaps I didn't mash properly somehow?

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 pm

You must have sparged - thats adding the water after the mash.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/sparging.htm

Maybe thats where you went wrong. Did you just drain the mash tun at the end of the mash and then top up with water in the boiler?

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 pm

This is in the BIAB section!!, I haven't looked at it but I would assume the whole mashing and sparging thing is a bit different without using a mash tun :)

Tom_D

Post by Tom_D » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Yeah, there's no sparging necessary with BIAB, some people do one by moving the bag to another pan containing the sparge water but I don't bother and my efficiency is around 80%. What was the temperature of the mash? How long did you mash for?

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:18 pm

Sorry I've never brewed in a bag. Missed that completely.

PEACOCKSUIT

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:57 pm

The liqueur was at 69 degrees when I insulated the boiler and started the mash. I mashed for 90 mins :? .

All the grain was submerged and I stirred it in gradually. I squeezed all the liquid out of the bag with pan lids. The material I used (cotton/synth mix) seemed to retain the wort somewhat but I thought Id got most of it out. I ended up with about 30l ish before the boil. I will try the proper voil next time. It was not available to me last time.

I have enough grain for 2 Kolsch's waiting to be started but Im apprehensive now :cry: .

I insulated well too with a camping mat and a double sleeping bag! It only lost a couple of degrees.

Anyone got any ideas?

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 pm

69C is a bit hot and will affect the amount of fermentables you have. This could finish with a higher gravity than you expect as well. You should be aiming for 65-66C on the mash.

Tom_D

Post by Tom_D » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 pm

S.G. of 1.032 does seem very low though. HighHops would a 69ºC mash effect the efficiency that much?
I reckon it'll turn out to be a fine session ale.

PEACOCKSUIT

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:02 pm

I meant 66 degrees. I just followed the guide :? .

Perhaps I need to stir at set intervals rather than just insulate and leave alone for 90 mins?

Tom_D

Post by Tom_D » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:51 pm

I generally mash at 66º also and apart from a stir at 45 minutes and quick temp check, I don't touch it. To be honest I'm a little lost for an answer as it sounds as if you've done everything correctly. I guess you'll know for sure if it's an efficiency issue next time you brew. Maybe aim for something a little stronger and see if the discrepancy is the same.
Like I said before, I'm sure it'll taste great regardless. Welcome to the darkside!

RdeV

Post by RdeV » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Yeah, as Tom_D says, everything sounds about right, but I'd also check your fundamental measures, so mass, volume, SG. So get out your scales, jugs, hydrometer and give them all a test with known measures (plain water for your hydrometer, it should state what the calibrated temperature is, usually 15 or 20C).
No, don't stir more than once as all you're doing is losing precious heat from the mash, there's just no benefit to be had- often I'll just leave it from mash in to bag lift, completely on its lonesome, near-90% eff every time although I usually mash a bit longer than an hour, 90 minutes you've suggested is good.