Batch sparge in a bag

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
potatoes
Hollow Legs

Re: Batch sparge in a bag

Post by potatoes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:04 pm

you could always try buying bottled water and see if that stops the taste?

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 pm

EoinMag wrote:
soupdragon wrote:I think I posted on BIABrewer.info that the closest I could think was old stewed hops but I use fresh vaccum packed hops that are stored in the freezer. When I 1st tasted the flavour 20 odd years ago I was using loose packed hops from bags that weren't even sealed.

Cheers Tom

Ah yes I think I commented on it there too. you boil with the lid off hmmmm. not sure to be honest, unless it's possibly your water supply.
I think I might have mentioned that my most recent brew was done with bottled water. When I transferred it to the barrel the lees and general gunk smelled quite strongly of the dreaded taste but I'll reserve judgement untill it's actually ready to drink.....

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:11 pm

potatoes wrote:you could always try buying bottled water and see if that stops the taste?
I think I sort of hijacked my own thread by commenting on the flavour I'm getting. I'm sure I started a topic on it previously. However...... The last brew I've done was made entirely with bottled water. Just got it in the barrel but as my last post said, the smell coming from the dregs in the F.V. was identicle to the taste so I'm not sure that it's made any difference. Time will tell tho :)

Cheers Tom

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:13 pm

soupdragon wrote:
potatoes wrote:you could always try buying bottled water and see if that stops the taste?
I think I sort of hijacked my own thread by commenting on the flavour I'm getting. I'm sure I started a topic on it previously. However...... The last brew I've done was made entirely with bottled water. Just got it in the barrel but as my last post said, the smell coming from the dregs in the F.V. was identicle to the taste so I'm not sure that it's made any difference. Time will tell tho :)

Cheers Tom

Do you have any other homebrewers in your area that can help you to diagnose the issue? Maybe send them a bottle or two? I'd take one to have a tester if you're interested but someone local is probably more help.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:17 pm

EoinMag wrote:
soupdragon wrote:

Cheers Tom

Do you have any other homebrewers in your area that can help you to diagnose the issue? Maybe send them a bottle or two? I'd take one to have a tester if you're interested but someone local is probably more help.
That might be worth looking into EoinMag. I'll have a search around and see if I can find anyone........ Does anyone know if there's a list of local home brew clubs? Might be an idea too? :)

Cheers Tom