BIAB vs Gravity vs HERMS @ ANHC2010

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

BIAB vs Gravity vs HERMS @ ANHC2010

Post by Bobba » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:23 pm

I was lucky enough to be at the Australian national homebrew conference last month, and one of the sessions was dedicated to comparing the three different techniques. Blind tasting, of a brew from each of them, using the same ingredients, same water, brewed at the same location, same fermentation conditions, 200 homebrewers tasters.....
BIAB came out top, just, as the overall favourite. Followed almost equally by gravity brew (batch sparge), and then a long way behind was HERMS (which was a hint more grainy in taste). The results were something like 42%:42%:15%
There really wasnt much in it at all, just subtle differences, mainly in mouth feel and maltiness.
The efficiencies were also very similar in fact also, which was very surprising (sorry cant remember the numbers). The BIAB used a no-sparge method, just a long drip dry

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

EoinMag

Re: BIAB vs Gravity vs HERMS @ ANHC2010

Post by EoinMag » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Interesting results. The whole vs. thing bothers me, it's not a competition, just a way to make beer. It is reassuring with regard to criticism of the method as producing substandard beer though.

Bobba

Post by Bobba » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 pm

EoinMag wrote:Interesting results. The whole vs. thing bothers me, it's not a competition, just a way to make beer. It is reassuring with regard to criticism of the method as producing substandard beer though.
Oh for sure. I just thought it was interesting as BIAB has always been extremely controversial with the traditionalists.....but obviously appears to produce beers of at least equal quality to the more established (and commercial) brewing techniques

Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding

Twistedfinger
Hollow Legs

Post by Twistedfinger » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:06 am

Nice to hear, as someone who is looking to go AG at some point and was wondering if there was any real difference between methods with regard to quality this survey has made up my mind and saved me having to buy an expensive set up.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

Interesting there was a loss of quality in the HERMS sample.

Bobba

Post by Bobba » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 am

mysterio wrote:Interesting there was a loss of quality in the HERMS sample.
I know, pretty wacky. Although, there was a distinct faction that definitely preferred the HERMS sample - so also it comes down to personal preference.
Twistedfinger wrote:Nice to hear, as someone who is looking to go AG at some point and was wondering if there was any real difference between methods with regard to quality this survey has made up my mind and saved me having to buy an expensive set up.
For sure, it's a very positive take home message