50l Thermobox as Mash tun / Boiler

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
nik
Tippler

50l Thermobox as Mash tun / Boiler

Post by nik » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 am

Dear friends we are planning with some friends of mine to built something regarding a boiler for BIABs (personaly I use a 30 lt enamel pot gas fired for making 10 lt BIAB batches) we thought a good solution for 20-23 lt batches and not occupying much space a nordic opitical 50-60 lt SS thermobox with an electric ellement fitted as showed in many threads .
Does this combination will work ok or they are gonna be problems with boiling regarding the quality of item construction used instead of a stokpot with an electric element ?

RdeV

Re: 50l Thermobox as Mash tun / Boiler

Post by RdeV » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Hey there nik, Maxi-BIAB is one answer if you're looking to squeeze more brewlength out of a smaller kettle. Rather than farting around with electrifying a potentially- dodgy cool bin, perhaps think about a thicker BIAB mash, dunk sparge, over- gravity boil and post- boil dilution.
That 30L enamel pot can probably knock out 40L batches just as it is, I do >23L batches in a 19L SS stockpot every weekend, did 23L of Munich Helles today from 4kg of grain with ease on my kitchen stove. Very efficient space- wise as well- basically its just the kettle, a bucket, fermenter and your own hob. 8)

nik
Tippler

Re: 50l Thermobox as Mash tun / Boiler

Post by nik » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks, I am quite happy with my 10lt batches and for more I will follow maxi biab for now .The whole question regards some friends who they want getting into BIAB with minimum amount of equipment brewing outside the kitchen (garage,patio ) but without gas burners and the question raized because they are ready to go for converting a stock pot or an oil storage vessel like this http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.a ... =485&dt=24 if the thermobox which is convenient because of the insulation involved can cope with boiling procedure without any problems (90 min).All of them including me are craftsmen so there is not any danger working with electricity .