Brewing over 2 days?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Brewing over 2 days?

Post by jaroporter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:56 pm

it's gonna go off unless you raise it to pasteurisation temperatures / boil for a short while to make sure it's "clean" going into your sealed container. wouldn't be a problem with doing that, but with the time and energy (gas/leccy) taken to do that ya can see why people just continue for the one hour longer it takes to boil it proper. afraid i couldn't tell ya exactly what the minimum temperatures you'd need to hit are to go down that route, but if you've ever left a mashtun overnight before emptying the spent grains i think that'd put ya off just sparging and leaving it.. :-&

when overnight mashing the key is to keep it above 55C (roughly, i think.. ) to stop it spoiling.
dazzled, doused in gin..

albion_king

Post by albion_king » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Yeah, I suppose the energy lost and required to reheat would be substantial. Only way to mitigate that would be to mash late, insulate overnight and boil next morning. Tricky trying to find time for a full brew day with a young family!

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 pm

actually, in fairness i should say that some sour beers are brewed just like that. but, y'know..

i tried mashing late/sparging early but now prefer to just get up way before everyone else with HLT on a timer ready to go, full volume mash so no need to sparge and no chilling after the boil. i'm well into the boil before the coffee's truly kicked in and i'm functionally awake.. !
dazzled, doused in gin..

albion_king

Post by albion_king » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:35 pm

No chilling? How long does it take to drop to pitching temp?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:48 pm

I dropped mine into a cube 7pm and threw the yeast in at around 11 am the next day was still about 24 degrees tho. It all depends on time of year where you put it etc but once it's boiled and you've splashed it around the drum and squeezed the air out a couple of days is fine to allow to chill.
Don't make the stupid mistake I did drop into drum splash and try pick it up the plastic goes very soft. Either slide it or between 2 cradle it it's like holding the kettle without a handle

albion_king

Post by albion_king » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 pm

Would certainly save me a lot of water but everything I've read always stresses the importance of chilling as quickly as poss to prevent infection

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Well I've also read the same but pasteurisation happens at 68 degrees ypur placing it in a sealed container splashing it about and squeezing the air out. I came to mine the following day and it smelt and looked like wort. This is my first all grain brew and before that I did extract with no chilling juSt lobbed it in an fv added abit of cold water was probs about 70 degrees left it sitting over night like that.
The only supposed down side is increased bitterness extraction but I won't find this out till I taste it in a few weeks

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 pm

jaroporter wrote:
when overnight mashing the key is to keep it above 55C (roughly, i think.. ) to stop it spoiling.
Mine dropped to 40c overnight ......read through this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69560 ...not nice :shock:

Andy

jmc

Post by jmc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Key is to ramp up the insulation to stop it cooling down too much overnight

I cover my MT with hot water tank insulation bags like these

They help keep MT temp up above 55C