Wheat beer 1st biab

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
spanspoon

Wheat beer 1st biab

Post by spanspoon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 pm

I've done a few kits now and time to up my game....giving biab a whirl. I have a 30l burco boiler. Given that summer (hopefully) is on its way I'm going for a refreshing wheat beer.

The recipe

Recipe Gravity: 1.054 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 23 IBU
Recipe Color: 4 SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.2%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.1%

3# of Wheat Malt
1.5# of Pilsner Malt
.5# CaraPils

.25oz Saaz 60min
.50oz Saaz 40min
.25oz Saaz 20min
.25oz Tettnanger(US) 5min

.5 teaspoon corriander seed 10min
1 oz fresh orange zest/peel 10min
1 teaspoon irish moss 10min

Bring 4 gal to 165f for sparging.

The recipe was taken from a us forum so I'm guessing the # next to the malts are lbs? 4 us gallons is just over 15 litres?

I have limited bottles and due to it being best to drink wheat beer young I wanna do a relatively small brew.

Any input on the recipe or suggestions for any other straightforward wheat beer recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Ben711200

Re: Wheat beer 1st biab

Post by Ben711200 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 pm

The # is for Lbs.

Google tells me a US gallon is 3.78541 so just over 15 lites is correct, however, it also states that the 4 gallon is for sparging, which you wouldn't typically do in BIAB (maxi BIAB excepted) as you are essentially combining the mash and sparge into one process. Given the small grain bill and relatively high OG, it may be that it means water for the BIAB mash? In which case, I'd be concerned that the strike temp may be a bit high?

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 am

Typo, I meant mashing not sparging!

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/20-ad ... le-biab-ag

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 pm

I get slightly confused by pound measurements (ok, I mean I'm too lazy to work out what they are as I'm tired and catching up on some cricket) but you seem to be in the general ball park.
I did a wheat not so long ago, aiming to do something a little like hoegaarden (although the choice of yeast didn't help). It turned out pretty well to be honest, and has kept quite nicely. Most of the general amounts are very similar but I used quite a bit more coriander I think. Lightly toast it (a clean dry frying pan will do it) and crack it carefully with a pestle and mortar.
Here 'tis for comparison.

Hoegaarden Clone (Witbier)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.8
Bitterness (IBU): 21.6 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)

49.21% Pale Malt
24.61% Flaked Wheat
22.15% Wheat Malt
4.04% Torrified Wheat

1.2 g/L Fuggles (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Fuggles (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

1.3 g/L Coriander Seed @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.7 g/L Orange Peel @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 75 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safbrew WB-06

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Cheers cf! My grains arrived after ordering online, made a rookie error not realising that brewsmarter didn't sell crushed malts! Serves me right by focusing on price and not print!

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 am

The malt miller is best for grains in my opinion, highly recommended by a lot of people here! Hop and grape are also good for smaller amounts (less than 1kg). For hops, the worcester hop shop is very good.
Best of luck with the brew (and milling your grains :D )
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Still wouldn't mind trying a wheat beer myself, so let us know how it goes and what the end product tastes like.

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Brewed this today! So popped my all grain cherry! Everything went smoothly, no boil over! Had a slight issue with my burco boiler cutting out...defo feel a re wire on the thing is my next job.

I added a teaspoon of crushed coriander seed with around 20 minutes left on my boil. I didn't get any kind of hint of fragrance when I threw it in but guess I'll have to wait and see when tasting.

I'm gonna add the orange peel to the fv after soaking it in vodka. My theory is; vodka fairly neutral tasting, alcohol content should kill most nasties, alcohol should act as a solvent and help extract natural oils from orange peel. Plus by not heating it I'm hoping to get more flavour.

Final OG was 1.052, pleased with that! Although I did have to guesstimate when extending my boil due to the burco cutting out.

Do any of you guys taste your wort? I tasted the left over used for OG reading and noticed it was sweet but very bitter! I like the taste of hops but this was quite strong! Will this mellow when fermenting?

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 pm

I always taste the wort. What you mentioned is dead right though, and totally normal in my experience. Hope it goes well. Remember, drink it young!
Fermenting -

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

spanspoon wrote:Brewed this today! So popped my all grain cherry! Everything went smoothly, no boil over! Had a slight issue with my burco boiler cutting out...defo feel a re wire on the thing is my next job.

I added a teaspoon of crushed coriander seed with around 20 minutes left on my boil. I didn't get any kind of hint of fragrance when I threw it in but guess I'll have to wait and see when tasting.

I'm gonna add the orange peel to the fv after soaking it in vodka. My theory is; vodka fairly neutral tasting, alcohol content should kill most nasties, alcohol should act as a solvent and help extract natural oils from orange peel. Plus by not heating it I'm hoping to get more flavour.

Final OG was 1.052, pleased with that! Although I did have to guesstimate when extending my boil due to the burco cutting out.

Do any of you guys taste your wort? I tasted the left over used for OG reading and noticed it was sweet but very bitter! I like the taste of hops but this was quite strong! Will this mellow when fermenting?
I always have a little taste of the wort, if it tastes nice and hoppy now it will probably be a hoppy beer, but it does seem to change in flavour and mature over a few weeks in the conditioning. I've had IPAs that tasted a bit sharp and overpowering at first, but matured into something really great, so I wouldn't worry about it.

On the Burco cutting out issue, what setting is it on? I have a 40L Buffalo which goes up to 110 degrees, and although turning it up to 11 always sounds like a good idea :) , it will hold a rolling boil at 95 so I leave it there so it doesn't over do it. Also on stronger beers 1050 plus OG I find it sticks to the flat element on the bottom which can cause it to cut out. I've scraped the element with a long spoon during the boil to stop stuff getting burnt on.

The beer sounds great anyway, looking forward to hearing about the finished product!

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 am

I regularly make American Wheats with about 50/50 wheat/barley malts and occasionally the urn cuts out during the boil. It only happens with the wheats.
Probably to do with the more turbid runnings when using wheat, sinks to the bottom of the urn, coats the element and the the boil-dry probe does its thing and switches off.

Remember these boilers are really meant for brewing up tea and coffee at ladies bingo afternoons, and the boil dry is to prevent the church hall getting toasted.

I find with a wheat, if I stir the boil with a big spoon every 20 mins or whenever passing by, it keeps things in suspension and no cutout.