ball park figures

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

ball park figures

Post by timbo41 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:04 am

guys. in my normal slapdash manner I've just started a stove top brew. straight mild nowt special.
Using my 19 l pot, approximately 3 kg grain. not being number obsessed I'm figuring litre per grain kilo loss, and litre and half loss to boil and break. Seem reasonable? often see massive losses on forum, iro 50%, but I just don't seem to lose that much. I figure with a small grain sparge couple if kettle worth to get 15 litre into fv...without recourse to the calcs does that sound reasonable. Just a mess about today really, not great concern about efficiencies

Twistedfinger
Hollow Legs

Re: ball park figures

Post by Twistedfinger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Done and dusted by now I reckon.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 pm

certainly is TF! Overall loss was higher than expected, but liquored back to 15 litre@ 1035, within a nice mild range..but thanks for interest anyway.
Just like trying new ideas!

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am

A bit late in the day, but in regards to liquid loss, my first extract brew suffered the same, I was expecting to lose half my liquid with a 60min boil in a 9l pot, I guess surface area and how aggressive the boil is determine this, I must have been boiling borderline, whereas most people must be boiling at 120+. I'm assuming there's some calculator for this?