BIAB 1st time set up

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: BIAB 1st time set up

Post by Manngold » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Oh, whilst I am thinking of it, one more thing. The recipe states that the hops are 90 minute boil. Does this mean that as soon as it is at a rolling boil I drop the hops in for the 90 minutes and pull out at the end?

Thanks

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Manngold wrote:Oh, whilst I am thinking of it, one more thing. The recipe states that the hops are 90 minute boil. Does this mean that as soon as it is at a rolling boil I drop the hops in for the 90 minutes and pull out at the end?

Thanks
If you are boiling for 90mins then yes :D

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Just completed my first biab! Only problem is I have no way to chill, am I ok to leave it in the boiler outside for a few hours to chill naturally, I still need to empty my fv.

Thanks

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:35 pm

I put mine in the kitchen sink filled with cold water. Stir at first while the temp is above 80, then put the lid on and leave. Change the water when it gets warm, or leave the tap running slowly. The cooling slows down as the temp drops, so I usually transfer to FV at about 40C and leave it to reach pitching temp with the lid snapped on. Coolest place, outside would work.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Cilbit, thanks for the advice. I can't fit this 50l badboy in the sink. If it hasn't cooled by 7pm I am going to stick it in the fv and put that in the sink. Hopefully it won't ruin the th too much.

Am I right in thinking that because it has sat on the hops so long that it might be too bitter?

Thanks

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:14 pm

It shouldn't be a problem. Once the temp gets below about 80C the hops can't be 'isomerised', apparently, which means no more additional bitterness. I have ended up with beer too bitter like this before though, when I have added high alpha hops at the end of the boil and not cooled quickly enough. I ended up leaving the beer in the bottles for about three months and the bitterness subsided. You could fish the hops out if you can't cool quickly, with a sanitised sieve. Allow maybe 30 mins for the hops to release their aroma oils. But you should be down to 80ish after 30 mins or so anyway.