mash

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
parky

mash

Post by parky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi,
Biab is new to me, so my question is: I get my strike water to about 70c, then dough in my grains, and to make shore that I have no lumps, it can take me about 15mins, so when should my 90 min. Mash time begin, at the start, or when I have finished Doughing in.
Also, about efficiency, why do I need to check it.
Thank You,
Parky

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: mash

Post by alexlark » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:45 pm

I start the 90 mins once the lid is on and the pot is wrapped!

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about efficiency yet, just make beer.

But basically if you had 80% efficiency on your setup, you would need less weight in grains to achieve the same extraction / abv potential as a recipe based on 75%. Similarly, if your efficiency was 68%, you would need more grains than a recipe which is based on 75%.

But it will take a few brews to improve your technique etc and establish what your brew house efficiency is. So just enjoy it and good luck!

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I would also suggest reviewing your doughing in technique, 15 minutes seems like a long time. Should take no more than 5 mins, really.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:46 pm

use the calculators on here for strike water temp. they work a treat.

once ive doughed in i give it 5 - 10 mins then check on mash temp then if i need to i'll add a little boiling or cold water to adjust accordingly. i'll then start my timer.

don't worry about the time of mash too much. i now mash for 60 mins after trying both (60 & 90), noticing no difference whatsoever and also speaking to my local microbrewery who mash for 60 mins and couldn't understand why i'd mash at 90. after quite a bit of reading enzymes have done there work within 45 mins.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:22 pm

I go the other way and usually mash for 10 hours! Doing it overnight makes the brew day much shorter.