No-Chill hop adjustments

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
DaveGillespie

No-Chill hop adjustments

Post by DaveGillespie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Anyone no-chilling? About to try my first next week and am wondering how I would adjust a hop schedule like this for No-Chill:

60 minute
5 minute
Hop Steep (1 hour from 80C)

If I moved the steep to a cube hop would it drive off the oils because of the elevated temperature?

YeastFace Brew Co.

Re: No-Chill hop adjustments

Post by YeastFace Brew Co. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:20 pm

I use this handy chart

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:13 pm

I no-chill but I never make any adjustments. I'm not convinced they make sense unless the hops are going in the cube - mine stay in the boiler.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:36 pm

rpt wrote:I no-chill but I never make any adjustments. I'm not convinced they make sense unless the hops are going in the cube - mine stay in the boiler.
i'm not sure either, but then my beers do appear quite bitter sometimes and Brewmate has an option for no chill adjusting that affects the ibus significantly.

your aroma hops should be used later than they appear for sure because the wort should be 80c and below before adding 0 min hops. In other people's recipes, I always add the 10 minute hop addition at 0 mins and steep for 30 mins before transferring to cube, then add 0 min hops after an hour of no chill. that's more of a rule of thumb I guess, but one I feel yields a closer result.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:07 pm

So you presumably run off to cube, squeeze air out and seal, wait an hour then add your steep hops?

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Once it's sealed you should never open the cube or you will let air in. The purpose of sealing with boiling wort is to keep it sterile.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:35 pm

well, i work differently, I just chill in the FV and start the ferment after 3 hours chilling in the bath or so (or just outside this time of year, am I rite?) and in that case I pop the lid open when the wort hits 80c (usually about 30 mins.)

but certainly for that period of time, theres no real danger in taking the lid off. if you wanted to keep the wort for at least a few days after brewing and before adding yeast, yes, probably don't open it.