Do I need to protect the bag from the hidden boiler element?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 pm

I have a 40L Buffalo boiler (which has a concealed element), and a nylon bag ( http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cgi ... 78#a496978 ) - do I really need to prevent the bag from touching the element plate, or is that not really necessary? I have a small colander I could use, but that would mean balancing it on top of the bazooka that I'm using for a filter, which seems a bit odd, or adding some legs to the colander to keep it above the filter.

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Do I need to protect the bag from the hidden boiler elem

Post by LeeH » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Yes you do.

Can you cut a slot out in the colander to fit over the bazooka?
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 pm

LeeH wrote:Yes you do.

Can you cut a slot out in the colander to fit over the bazooka?
It's stainless steel, I don't have the gear, or the skill to cut it .. tried my dremel clone thing and it didn't do anything other than get hot :)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Hmmm, you need a grinder or hole saw really. It would take seconds that at.

Hacksaw may be ok if you can keep hold of it.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:39 pm

I've picked up some foil food saver things - I'll punch several holes in them and I think that will be strong enough to hold the grain off the plate (it will have the filter under it too). It's only going to be on to maintain temperature, so shouldn't be on that often or that hot.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 am

I never covered the element in my buffalo and my original bag is still going strong. The only reason you'd need it covered is if you are trying to raise your mash temp whilse mashing, and I'd discourage you from doing this at all. Mine used to lose less than 2 degrees in 90 mins, so with proper insulation that shouldn't be an issue. Only temp rasie I did was at the end for a mash out. I used to lift the bag and had a hook to hold it out of the mash.
I used to warm mash water, power off, add bag, dough in, wrap and mash, raise bag out of mash, power on to mash out temp, power off and bag back in.
No problems in 20 odd brews.
Last edited by Cpt.Frederickson on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:50 pm

I did my mash out with the bag still in and kept stirring it - I think next time I will hoist it onto my over sink drive while the element is on. I did wrap it in towels and I was quite surprised how well it maintained temperature - didn't expect it to be so good.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:22 pm

Buffalos are pretty good if you wrap them. Mine was in the shed as well so decent result. I used to raise my mash to 78c with the bag out, if you can't suspend it then transfer it to an empty FV and you're good to go.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 pm

I meant over sink drainer.. No idea where drive came from :) fits on top of the boiler with the bag in it for draining.. Works well for a few quid.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I never have the element on while the bag is in my Buffalo. I insulate the boiler with a hot water cylinder jacket. I have never done a mash out.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:41 pm

I think it is best to avoid letting the bag touch the element whilst it is on. melting point of Nylon, or polyester, is under 275 degrees (varies depending on which nylon it is). Although the water may only be 60 -80 degrees, the element itself may be much hotter.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:02 pm

So don't turn the element on while the bag is in the pot.

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:39 am

My house is always 19-20 degrees and I've never lost more than 2 degrees on a 90min mash. I use wife's yoga mat to wrap the 40l buffalo.
Have heated in the past, made awful noise, but now see it as unnecessary.
Using Tapatalk

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:30 am

The only time I had an 'incident' of the bag coming into contact with the element was when I was messing about with recirculation.
I had the pump flow set too high and it must have sucked the bag onto the filter.
I decided it was too much faff for little or no benefit and not only did it melt the bag but the residue caused havoc with the element leading to cutouts.
I'm much happier losing a couple of degrees over 90 mins.

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 am

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting leaving it on to maintain temps, it's ok doing that anyway with a bit of insulation, I was referring to when you want to *change* the temperature of the mash, either to do stepped or to do a mashout. Doubtful I'll do the former without RIMS/HERMS, and the latter is easy enough to hoist the bag, get the temps back up, then put the bag back in, so needing to protect the element is pretty much a no :)