s/s shelf

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Dave-Leeds

s/s shelf

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi all

i am looking for something to protect the grain bag from the element and bazoka screen. Idealy i would like a sort of shelf. like a faulse bottom screen and then when i drop wort chiller in i wont have to angle it to avoid the element.does any1 have any ideas of some materials i could use?,

Thanks

Dave-Leeds

Re: s/s shelf

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Would a carbon steel perfrated pizza tray work if i bolted some legs on. Or is it best i use s/s

other option i have found is a s/s cooling rack cut to size with bolted on legs

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:58 pm

I recently used one of the metal "takeaway" tins and sliced holes in it.. it was plenty strong enough to take the weight of the grain bag in liquid, and was easy to bend into shape. As someone suggested to me though, unless you're doing stepped mashes, it might be better to remove the bag for mashout, heat up, then put it back.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Might try 1 of them. I dont bother with mashout just want to protect element and it will be easier when i put wort chiller in so it dosnt touch element

MongrelBrew

Post by MongrelBrew » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:35 pm

I have been thinking about using the pizza trays too, the ones ive found are aluminium, is that ok to use? Cheers [BEER MUG]

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 pm

I've used a cheap stainless steel colander from one of the cheapo high street shops BN Bargains or similar. Don't use carbon steel, aluminium may be OK but stainless is best. I knocked the handles off the colander and put it upside down in the boiler.