BIAB process - sense check

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
duotwr

BIAB process - sense check

Post by duotwr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi,

I'm making a pilsner this weekend in my new Buffalo 40l boiler - only the 2nd I've done in the new boiler (done plenty of smaller BIABs on the stove). But I want to adjust the process a bit to fit in with family life etc.

I want to do the boil outdoors, as I don't have a good way of extracting steam/vapour from the kitchen except for the cooker hood, and I don't trust my gas hob to bear the weight of the full buffalo boiler.

So I plan to get the mash going tonight in my kitchen, around 11pm, then wrap the boiler up until the morning. Around 7am I'll turn the boiler on, and raise it to mash-out temp - then just stir, and drain the boiler (don't bother lifting the bag) into a couple of plastic drums I've got (I've used these for no-chill in the past). Then remove bag, move the boiler outside, tip in the wort, and crack on with the boil.

I can't see any reason this shouldn't work - anybody see any problems with this approach? Apart from the fact it'll be bloody freezing outside at 8am tomorrow.

Keith

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Re: BIAB process - sense check

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:36 pm

As long as you lift the bag before mash out, no worries
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

duotwr

Post by duotwr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, but slightly confused. Do you mean lift the bag to keep it off the element? I understood that the grain stays in the mash as it gets heated, part of which is to make the wort runnier and come off the grains more easily, or have I misunderstood?

Keith

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Sorry, reply was a little quick earlier. To elaborate, I would lift entirely until you have the whole amount of wort to the desired temp. I used to do this when I had my Buffalo, reasoning being that you want to ensure the grain is steeped at a desired temp. If the bag is left in (albeit raised of the element) as it heats, some of the grain at the bottom of the bag will get significantly hotter than the desired temp and could cause undesirable flavours. Personally, I'd lift the bag, squeeze a little and pop it into an empty FV until temp is reached, then back in the wort again when you hit temp.
Other option is to ensure the wort is stirred continually to distribute the heat more effectively, but that can be a pain in the arse with a bag of grain hanging in it!
Hope that makes sense.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

duotwr

Post by duotwr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Ah, gotcha. From an earlier search somebody mentioned the buffalo getting from mash temp up to mash out temp in around ten minutes, although I thought this a bit optimistic. But I'd probably be ok to stir during this period, gives me a little time for reflection and I can tell the kids not to disturb me as I'm busy 'making beer'. Or maybe I'll lift it. I'll see how I goes.

Thanks for the clarification.

K.