Lagering and bottling a biab lager

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Marcusp1140
Sober

Lagering and bottling a biab lager

Post by Marcusp1140 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Guys I've currently got a biab European lager in the fv undergoing a diacetyl rest at 16 deg c. When it's done I plan on bottling the lager but need advice on what order to lager and bottle as below

1/ crash cool to drop the yeast out before transferring to my bottling bucket and bottling. Carbonate for two weeks then drop temp to lager for a month

2/ crash cool to drop yeast out, transfer to second fv and lager for a month before bottling and carbonating at higher temp and then store bottles at cool drinking temp

This is my first biab lager and has gone great so far with the wlp830 lager yeast so don't want to mess it up now

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Lagering and bottling a biab lager

Post by Rookie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Marcusp1140 wrote:Guys I've currently got a biab European lager in the fv undergoing a diacetyl rest at 16 deg c. When it's done I plan on bottling the lager but need advice on what order to lager and bottle as below
1/ crash cool to drop the yeast out before transferring to my bottling bucket and bottling. Carbonate for two weeks then drop temp to lager for a month
2/ crash cool to drop yeast out, transfer to second fv and lager for a month before bottling and carbonating at higher temp and then store bottles at cool drinking temp
This is my first biab lager and has gone great so far with the wlp830 lager yeast so don't want to mess it up now
Either one would work.
2/ once carbed put the bottles back to lager temperature. I did that with a marzen brewed March 2014 and finished the last bottle a few days ago and it was really good.
I'm just here for the beer.