Best way to clean the bag?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Best way to clean the bag?

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:33 am

Just done my fifth BIAB, the bag doesn't look to fresh anymore. I normally rinse it with cold water to try to get everything out then boil it in water for 20 minutes.

Has anyone got a good technique for cleaning it, or because it gets boiled on the day am I being a bit too neurotic?

Thanks

daf

Re: Best way to clean the bag?

Post by daf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 am

Consider it seasoned, like a trusty paella pan, or a cast iron griddle. Avoid soap or other chemicals. Just empty, rinse in water and hang up to dry.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:04 am

Boil it in a solution of household soda at 40 gr a litre and then rinse.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

SiMania

Post by SiMania » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 am

I chuck it in the Boiler when it's steeping with an OXY cleaner and give it a good rinse a few hours later, then hang it up to dry on the line.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks all. IPA, by side do you mean oxi cleaner?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Manngold wrote:Thanks all. IPA, by side do you mean oxi cleaner?
No it's household washing soda in England it used to be called ICI SODA CRYSTALS you should find it alongside the detergents on the supermarket shelf. It costs about 70 pence a kilo. It cleans stainless vessels as well.

edit. Apparently it now goes under the name of DRY PAK SODA CRYSTALS and costs £1. You should find it in the smaller retailers.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are

daf

Post by daf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am

You rea;;y don't want to be adding dangerous chemicals into the process where there is no need to at all.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:05 am

Soda crystals are just soap..... not really dangerous I'd say

daf

Post by daf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:11 am

Dangerous to flavour. One or two soap flakes getting in the mash...no thanks!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:32 pm

daf wrote:Dangerous to flavour. One or two soap flakes getting in the mash...no thanks!
I don't think so [-X
Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda, soda ash and soda crystals), Na2CO3, is the sodium salt of carbonic acid (soluble in water).

It most commonly occurs as a crystalline heptahydrate, which readily effloresces to form a white powder, the monohydrate. Pure sodium carbonate is a white, odourless powder that is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air), has an alkaline taste, and forms a strongly alkaline water solution. Sodium carbonate is well known domestically for its everyday use as a water softener. It can be extracted from the ashes of many plants growing in sodium-rich soils, such as vegetation from the Middle East, kelp from Scotland and seaweed from Spain. Because the ashes of these sodium-rich plants were noticeably different from ashes of timber (used to create potash), they became known as "soda ash".[12] It is synthetically produced in large quantities from salt (sodium chloride) and limestone by a method known as the Solvay process.
That's what it is and it safe to use as long as you rinse thoroughly afterwards.
[/kelp from Scotland and seaweed from Spain]

Do you not use seaweed, Irish Moss, to precipitate the hot break?

Be who you are

daf

Post by daf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Of course I do, but I wouldn't put caustic chemicals like soap on either my mash bag or my paella pan!

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Well I decided to just use oxi in the end. Gave them a proper good soak, and seem good now. Gave them a very through rinse, and will rinse and boil next brew day.

Thanks all.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:13 pm

daf wrote:Of course I do, but I wouldn't put caustic chemicals like soap on either my mash bag or my paella pan!
You didn't read it. It's neither soap or a caustic chemical.

Be who you are

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Manngold wrote:Well I decided to just use oxi in the end. Gave them a proper good soak, and seem good now. Gave them a very through rinse, and will rinse and boil next brew day.

Thanks all.
Soda is the same thing as "OXI" or "WIZ" without the fizz.

Be who you are

daf

Post by daf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:43 pm

IPA wrote:
daf wrote:Of course I do, but I wouldn't put caustic chemicals like soap on either my mash bag or my paella pan!
You didn't read it. It's neither soap or a caustic chemical.
Not something you'd put in your beer though, I would wager.

:out