Best software for biab

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Best software for biab

Post by sbond10 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Just wondering what's everyone's opinions on the best free biab software.
I've currently being playing with biabacus but it's concerning me saying I need over 40 litres of water for a 23 litre brew. Now the volume doesn't bother me as I'm getting a 70 litre pan it's the fact I have 23 litre fermenter. This was for a standard 5 % pale ale brew can you really lose 17 litres of water ?

slimmrock

Re: Best software for biab

Post by slimmrock » Sun May 03, 2015 12:19 pm

The grains soak up a lot, the hops soak up a bit, you'll boil off a lot over 90mins, and you'll have some dead space in your boiler, biabacus has always been fairly spot on for me

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Fair enough just thought I'd query if 40 litres was a reasonable amount for a 23 litres brew

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Wed May 06, 2015 8:33 am

Whatever software you use, you'll need to tailor it for your setup. For my first ever brew I got 24L of beer with starting with 35L of water for a 5% beer using BrewMate. I then tailored the various options for losses and grain absorption etc. to be more accurate the next time.
Fermenting: Nowt
Conditioning: Black Cross Stout
Drinking: GW London Porter, 'Use it Up' Bitter

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed May 06, 2015 8:40 am

sbond10 wrote:Fair enough just thought I'd query if 40 litres was a reasonable amount for a 23 litres brew
For a regular beer with 4-5kg of grain then 35l is closer for me as I don't sparge.
I use Beersmith (mobile).

daf

Post by daf » Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 am

Yeah I start with 35litres, after a good squeeze I lose about 2 litre to the grains, leaving 33l for the boil. I aim to get about 25l in the FV.

I've never even calibrated my measuring stick or pot, to be frank I can't be arsed.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Wed May 06, 2015 10:08 am

BIABacus figures are usually pretty accurate and a good base to start from. After your first few brews you'll get an idea of your equipment and tailor the efficiencies to that. If you need any help looking over your completed sheet send me a PM it can be daunting to begin with.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 am

Cheers wind rider will do

DrD

Post by DrD » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Biabacus is fairly accurate on my setup with default setting, although I lose less water to the grain as I squeeze the bag like it owes me money. Most things are adjustable but if you crack the write protection on the spreadsheet then everything is adjustable.

I also hate the way that you need to enter a gravity/IBU and the amounts are scaled to a recipe - that was the first to go after unlocking it, soooo much better when you can just enter your ingredients list and tweak things manually.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Where do you get biabacus? I see references to it a lot but it doesn't show up on searches much

Linus
Steady Drinker

Post by Linus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Where do you get biabacus? I see references to it a lot but it doesn't show up on searches much
http://www.biabrewer.info/