new biab

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
sam51

new biab

Post by sam51 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:12 am

going to give biab a go.
will this work and is it right.
30ltr burco boiler, put water in, how much? bring to 70 degrees,
add grains stir, leave at 65 degrees for one and half hours,
strain grain, add hops at different stages, and boil, how long?
cool to 22 degrees syphon to fv, add yeast let it ferment.
is this the jest for doing it,
dose the burco need any alterations,
I make around 21 litres at a time.
thanks sam.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Re: new biab

Post by bigchris » Tue May 19, 2015 1:21 pm

In a nutshell, that's about right.

How much water? depends on the recipe you are using. You'll need to leave room for the grain so probably the most water you'll be able to start with will be around 25/26L.

30L boiler is a bit small for BIAB to end up with 21L. You should search the forums for Maxi BIAB and you'll find instructions for this process, basically after mashing the grain for 90 minutes and then boiling, when done add more pre-boiled water, perhaps a few kettle loads..

Hops:- usually some as soon as the boiling starts, these are for bittering. then near to the end of the boil add other hops for flavouring and aroma.

sam51

Post by sam51 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:23 pm

can i top up the fermenter, to 21 ltrs with cooled boiled water, before I put the yeast in.
I could go with a bigger stainless pot, and do it on the gas,but wouldn't a burco give me more stable temperatures.
thanks sam.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi Sam, yes you can top up the FV before adding yeast. I've done this a few times. Now I use a 33l pot on a wok burner, gets a boil going but it isn't 'really' strong, does the job though and makes great beer. I get 20L in the FV easily.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue May 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Sam, you don't mention this in the first post. But after the 90 minute mash you need to remove the bag and grain!

MG

mbarn
Piss Artist

new biab

Post by mbarn » Sun May 31, 2015 11:05 am

I'm a few weeks behind, but for your first one with burco, do something basic. My 40l burco holds a great rolling boil, too fierce in fact. Others need to modify their ones as they struggle to boil. I expect theirs are newer versions.
Highly suggest you download biabicus or one of the free software packages.
Proper beer brewing is a science, and the odd change here or there makes a difference. This is why my first three brews were the same, so I could see variations.
Using Tapatalk