No chill cube users

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

No chill cube users

Post by sbond10 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Just wondered those that no chill. How do clean your cube. Do you just wash with oxi clean/soda crystals. Then add the boiling hot wort to the cube. Or do you use starsan or something similar?
The reason I ask is I've just washed mine out with soda crystals then star San and the foam and associated liquid became a nightmare to get out. Now I know it's ok to embrace the foam but there was liquid in there too I don't mind in a open sided fv where most of the foam liquid can slide but worried about the enclosed space of an jerry can

vacant

Re: No chill cube users

Post by vacant » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:46 pm

I use starsan or videne for most of my brew stuff these days but for my no-chill cube I've gone back to a weak bleach solution I used when brewing kits. A few litres of solution stays in the cube during storage (rotate the cube every now and then). When it's time to use it I rinse it out a few times. If I'm feeling paranoid I use a bit of crushed campden tablet to make sure any chlorine is neutralised but I concluded that if I can detect a bleachy smell in the cube it is just in the air and so highly diluted after a couple of rinses that it won't affect the beer when 28 litres of wort dilutes it further.

After the wort is removed, a few rinses with really hot water seems to be all that is required before storing again with bleach.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Dilute bleach and store then rinse x 2, rinse with a Camden tablet, rinse and finally rinse with Star San.

Aamcle

" Do not Fear the Foam"

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Is this thin unperfumed bleach that is being used and at what dilution?

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Cheers for the advise folks will keep trying with star san

vacant

Post by vacant » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 pm

f00b4r wrote:Is this thin unperfumed bleach that is being used and at what dilution?
Yes, and 2.5-4ml/litre is about the right amount, the concentration of the bleach brands varies.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:14 pm

I clean mine with oxi and give it a good rinse. It never properly dries before storage. Just before filling it with hot wort I sanitise it with Starsan, but that's probably not necessary since I ensure the hot wort touches all sides. But I do it as it is so easy.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:34 pm

Yea my cubes drying at minute will be put away tommorow night hopefully dry

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:16 pm

afaik starsan foam is benign and will break down in a wort into useful building blocks for the yeast to employ?

the problem i had with 'cubes' was removing the last 100-200ml of any cleaning/rinse, or sanitation rinse as the design of the ones i used wasnt optimum for compete draining.. can take 10+ careful tips to drain aiming the residue centrally towards the cap mouth..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Yep that was my main issue there was a good 100ml in bottom that wouldn't come out

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 pm

there is a knack to balancing the 'cube' so the last bit drains centrally down the bottom side, a bit like the old balancing marble table toy - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6546/labyrinth

only take me 6-27 tips now ;)

i was oblivouse to it tbh until i took a couple of cubes down for filling with RO water and then measured with a tds meter to discover almost tap water level readings??? took a few days but i eventually had the 'face palm' Doh! moment .. Unfortunatly after i made a phone call.. whoops!!
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:36 pm

Yea think regardless of what I do its gonna be a hit n miss and check kinda thing.

Tho I had a mad idea with the jerry can if you could make a supporting frame work you could it upside down with a tap on the lid and thus you've got a bottle bucket now......