first time BIAB, stuck/stopped fermentation

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Jtonthebike

first time BIAB, stuck/stopped fermentation

Post by Jtonthebike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 am

Hi all,

Over the weekend I did my first BIAB, lots to learn and room for improvement ;) This is what I was attempting. http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... e-11-11-11 but making it for 25l, not the 50l batch.

Anyway. I had the bag 'tied' closed rather than open around the pot, i think this is the primary reason for the poor efficiency. The OG came in at approx 1.041 rather than 1.063 discussed. So a quick google found a calculator which suggested I add in 1kg of brewing sugar to compensate for the poor efficiency. Which I did, by taking out some of the contents of the fermenting bin, added sugar, a little heat and then cool, back to the FV. (sunday morning)

By Sunday evening, some foam appearing but no bubbles in the airlock.

Today, no foam and a gravity reading of 0.0024. A quick taste, it seems quite sweet, with some bitterness (that'll be the hops then) I am still learning a lot and need to dedicate some time to 'off flavours' but i didn't detect anything off - it tasted better than the kit's i've been brewing!

The original bag of grains was tipped into the composter Sunday evening, so i can't re-mash with the old stuff, it'd have to be fresh grains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.
JT

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: first time BIAB, stuck/stopped fermentation

Post by sbond10 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 am

You've taken one gravity reading sit back and leave it to the weekend at the very least

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:30 pm

First of all, don't worry about your fermentation. As kind as you have it over about 17c it will get there. Ideally you want to be 19-22c. In particular, don't count on airlock activity.

As its Tuesday, now is a good time to measure the gravity and see how the fermentation is really getting on.

Regarding your poor efficiency, I doubt having the bag closed is at fault. Have you calculated what your efficiency actually was? If you want to post the recipe you actually used we can work things out for you. The one mistake you may have made is that the recipe you originally posted was for 10 US gallons, which is 37 litres. If you've just halved the quantities to get to a 5 imperial gallon, that would account for a large chunk of your efficiency loss. The rest is just some tricks you'll want to learn, like making sure all your grain is wetted.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Jocky, what is wetted grain?

Back on topic, quantities of grain will help. Also, what was your mash temp?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:33 am

A starting gravity circa 1.060 (after the sugar addition) on Sunday and a current gravity of circa 1.020 tells me that its fermenting well, you have dropped 40 points in 4 days.
(check your fermenting temp it may be a bit warm???)

the lack of movement thru the airlock indicates that the co2 is escaping thru a route of less resistance then the air lock.. an airlock is at best only an indicator anyway..

carry on taking samples for gravity readings every couple of days and dont worry sounds like its all good to me
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(