Gravity too high

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
toylander

Gravity too high

Post by toylander » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 pm

I started brewing beer about 10 months ago with about 10 successful brews under my belt and no disasters.

Brewed a beer a couple nights ago following a recipe I did before.
The last time I got an OG of 1.050 and about 21 litres into the fermenter.
This time I got an OG of 1.070. I topped up with water to 23 liters to reduce the OG and got it down to 1.060.

My grain bill was 5kg maris otter and 200g wheat.

The only thing I did different was crush the grain myself for the first time with the malt mill that I made.

Not sure if I was getting poor efficiency before or just really good efficiency now. I don't know how to work it out.

Is 1.060 still too high? Will it have a strong taste of alcohol? Can I water it down with cooled boiled water when priming without loosing bitterness or flavour?

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Re: Gravity too high

Post by Hairybiker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:26 pm

I would leave it and try it. Personally I had one brew meant to be 1055 that came in at 1075, and it was a great brew!
Getting 1070 from 5K is very good. Did you stir the wort before taking the OG? As it can be stratified.

toylander

Post by toylander » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:36 pm

I had just transferred it to the fermenter from the brew pot, it was well mixed.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:18 pm

toylander wrote: The only thing I did different was crush the grain myself for the first time with the malt mill that I made.
My efficiency went up 14% when I used my mill compared to getting the grains milled at the LHBS.
I'm just here for the beer.