Well..............here goes!

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Well..............here goes!

Post by Meatymc » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:42 pm

The dark side beckons...................................!

Finally picking up a pot tomorrow. Going for smaller quantity brews initially and still working from a temporary kitchen set-up hence 33 litre pot. Daughter brought me back a recipe book from the Brooklyn Beer Shop in New York. These are based on 1 gallon brews which you can then multiply up - that's good for me in case I cock things up whilst getting used to this type of brewing. Not very cost efficient in the longer term but let's see how it goes.

First recipe I am going to try (a Brooklyn IPA) asks for 2-row, Caramel 20, Victory and Munich malts, Columbus and Cascade hops and Safale S-05 yeast. Going to substitute Marris Otter or Optic for the 2-row and may drop the Victory altogether - not available locally and I read 2-row is fairly low key compared to UK malts so thinking Maris/Optic will cover for this. Also thinking Carared instead of Caramel 20. Hops and yeast not an issue.

Going to try a 2 gallon brew and see what happens.

I hear oxidisation is a problem - particularly with IPA and if bottling (which I will be doing). Any thoughts on this or the above ingredient mix?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Well..............here goes!

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:30 am

Meatymc wrote:The dark side beckons...................................!

Finally picking up a pot tomorrow. Going for smaller quantity brews initially and still working from a temporary kitchen set-up hence 33 litre pot. Daughter brought me back a recipe book from the Brooklyn Beer Shop in New York. These are based on 1 gallon brews which you can then multiply up - that's good for me in case I cock things up whilst getting used to this type of brewing. Not very cost efficient in the longer term but let's see how it goes.

First recipe I am going to try (a Brooklyn IPA) asks for 2-row, Caramel 20, Victory and Munich malts, Columbus and Cascade hops and Safale S-05 yeast. Going to substitute Marris Otter or Optic for the 2-row and may drop the Victory altogether - not available locally and I read 2-row is fairly low key compared to UK malts so thinking Maris/Optic will cover for this. Also thinking Carared instead of Caramel 20. Hops and yeast not an issue.

Going to try a 2 gallon brew and see what happens.

I hear oxidisation is a problem - particularly with IPA and if bottling (which I will be doing). Any thoughts on this or the above ingredient mix?
You'll be good with M O, carared, munich, and no victory.
Be careful when handling your beer and you should have no problem with oxidation.
I'm just here for the beer.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Good luck! BIAB is a great way to brew!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Raize
Steady Drinker

Post by Raize » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:58 pm

BIAB's a great method for small quantities.

Are you coming from kits/extract or three-vessel all-grain?

bquiggerz

Post by bquiggerz » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm pretty sure you're aware of the difference in US and UK gallons

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies

Good point on the US/UK conversion but yes, had taken that into account when calculating and ended up with 2.5KG of Maris Otter, 500g of Carared and 125g of Munich - hops and yeast as previous. Had the grain crushed and happy to admit I know nowt yet on this subject, but there looks to be a fair amount of 'whole' grain in there so may gently 'grind' a bit myself.

Just watched a Northern Brewer (US) vid on Youtube - doing a 3 gallon (US) brew back in 2012 so am going down the full water route rather than the Brooklyn (book) route of an initial low volume boil and then a sparge (hope that's the correct term!) so thinking an initial boil of 3.5 (UK) gallons and 60 minutes mash + 60 minutes boil although seeing 3.5 gallons to get 2 at the end still seems to be a lot - maybe you'll comment.

Been out to buy the 'net curtains' today and will attempt using this instead of a mash bag for now - think I should be able to manage a 3.5 gallon batch in a 7+gallon pot without spilling everywhere, and at least should be manageable. I suspect though that I may rue the day in not having a tap fitted to the pot.

Should really wait until weekend I suppose so don't feel rushed but have a lot on so may try this on Wednesday. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.