First BIAB brew in the fermenter!!

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: First BIAB brew in the fermenter!!

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:14 am

Although I got a bit carried away with an earlier post ('oh yes' being a bit over the top me thinks) I would like to add something.

Bottling my 2nd BIAB this evening (see post updating next) and plucked a couple of bottles out of stock to keep me going through the process.

The first was a Coopers Real Ale brewed back in May with 1kg Youngs BKE and 500g Muntons Medium spraymalt. 20g steeped Gouldings at the start and 10g fuggles dry hop added 10 days later. Came out at 6% as added Gervin to the kit yeast. Have done 2 subsequent variations on this which are better.

The 2nd pint was the 1st BIAB - only bottled 13th December. On opening it was very lively and frothing out of the bottle - b%&&er was the immediate reaction given I'm mid-point in bottling BIAB 2 and have carbed at the same ratio. Had to suck out the froth whilst sorting a glass and obviously the resulting pint was fairly cloudy.

HOWEVER - and here is the point I want to make....apart from the fact it was the best tasting brew I've ever made - bar none, it is the first where the carbonation is in the beer rather than bursting to get out. You see it but don't feel it - it isn't bubbling on the tongue but is just a gentle back note - creamy almost.

Appreciate only in the fridge for 30 minutes tonight before opening and longer will help the initial frothing on opening in the future but can someone please tell me what I've done right to get that subtle effect? Or was it a fluke?!?